New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

64 bit and what does it all mean?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JamminJonah

I understand from watching yesterday's WWDC Keynote (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html)

Leopard is to run in native 64 bit. Currently all Apple machines but the Mac Pro run Intel chips that don't have 64 bit operating capability. So this leads to my next question (and 1 answer)

Answer: yes, the 32 bit machines will be able to run Leopard because though it operates in native 64 bit it also operates at 32 - so anybody who was going to ask that don't worry you can use Leopard when it comes next Spring.

1. What the heck is 64 bit and what does it do for me?

- I know Vista is also touting it's 64 bitness and Internet Explorer already has 64 bit capability but what the heck does that mean and why should I care? Obviously in the computing world most often more bits are better (3Ghz vs 2Ghz, 512Mb vs 256Mb) but what will 64 bits do for me?

2. Can anyone SPECULATE (don't want to get slammed by the good folks at Apple now) on when the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines will have 64 bit capable CPU's? It seems they would do this before the official Leopard release but I haven't been investigating Apple for that long, I'm one of those

"OSX got me interested in Mac again and Intel leaves me no reason not to switch" folks.

So help me out! You guys are smart I read your posts what does it all mean!
:yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJonah
Obviously in the computing world most often more bits are better (3Ghz vs 2Ghz, 512Mb vs 256Mb) but what will 64 bits do for me?
While 3GHz and 2GHz are Processor clock speeds, 512MB and 256MB are storage capacities, 64-bit is what the processor arcitechture is built on. :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Definition of 64-bit.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
2. Can anyone SPECULATE (don't want to get slammed by the good folks at Apple now) on when the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines will have 64 bit capable CPU's?
Sure, why not. 2015 is my guess, but I may be wrong.

QUOTE Thanks
JamminJonah

I guess I was asking if anyone could speculate when the Memrom would be put in the MacBook line - http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

My bad for not being more specific.

Also the buyers guide says they're about due:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
QUOTE Thanks
JamminJonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
While 3GHz and 2GHz are Processor clock speeds, 512MB and 256MB are storage capacities, 64-bit is what the processor arcitechture is built on. :ninja:
I guess I understand that 64 bit is the architecture but what does that mean exactly? What does it do for performance to have a 64 bit archetecture rather than a 32?

as noted above 3Ghz is better than 2Ghz because it means the processor is faster, 512Mb RAM is better than 256Mb RAM because it gives you a higher capacity (lets assume they're the same RAM type) so what advantage does a 64 bit architecture have over 32 - does that mean better processor bandwidth? Faster clockspeed? how does the architecture affect the chip?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

I guess to put it in absolute Layman's terms:

There are two ways to get fast traffic flow:

Raise the speed limit, or widen the highway.

Since processors are being clocked very high now-a-days (speed), 64-bit is widening the highway.

QUOTE Thanks
JamminJonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
I guess to put it in absolute Layman's terms:

There are two ways to get fast traffic flow:

Raise the speed limit, or widen the highway.

Since processors are being clocked very high now-a-days (speed), 64-bit is widening the highway.
Awesome thank you very much for the explaination and great analogy. i'm way better at grasping things conceptually when they're explained analogously.

One of the best explainations of pixels I ever heard compared them to painting a picture on a wall of apartment mailboxes where each mailbox could be only one solid color.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Quote:
i'm way better at grasping things conceptually when they're explained analogously.
Me too. No prob. :black:

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Somewhere on the Apple web site, I saw a discussion of why Tiger was not running 64 bit on the G5's, which are 64 bit machines natively. The response essentially indicated that it really made no difference, and in fact could slow things down in many cases. Ultimately, the same number of instructions had to be executed per unit time, and memory archtitectures were already so optimized that widening the pipe didn't have much impact. Meantime, you were sucking in twice as much data per gulp, which meant more cache flushing for poorly localized loops, hence potential overall slowdowns. To me, it sounded like a classic defensive response, but there it was. Does anyone else remember reading this? I have hunted around but can't find it again. I am sure it was posted right here in one of these forums as a link.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I put tv on my second computer screen | Need a good stand for new Macbook Pro 17" »