New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac RAM (memory)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JamminJonah

[This is advice from the forum - so please correct any errors I might have]
:: You can search the forums for more RAM advice using the search button on your upper right ::

A great alternative to buying the expensive pre-installed RAM in your new Mac is to order and install it yourself! So if you need to save some money buy the the least amount of RAM and add some RAM yourself!

You can search apple support pages for "memory install (mac type here)" and you should get a link like this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491
(17" MacBook Pro)

As far as FAQs on RAM (there are probably more):

Q -- Does adding RAM void your warranty or Applecare?

A-- Adding RAM to your Mac does NOT void the warranty or Applecare unless you break something when you're installing it. (but check the Mac support page if you want to make double sure)

Q -- How do I know what type of RAM my Mac takes?

A -- You can search the apple support pages with the above method or ask around here - or look at the ram that came in your Mac

Q -- If I order my mac with one stick of RAM can I just add another of the same type?

A -- If you add exactly the same stick this is a good idea. Having "matched RAM" gives you a more noticeable speed boost than having 2 different sticks of RAM. So order a pair and lose the originals unless you can find the exact same RAM.
"For your ram and buying paired sticks, perhaps add that this allows for 'dual channel' mode, your ram will literally run twice as fast when in dual channel mode - the result of using identical sticks of ram - but this only applies in the new Intel based MAC's. (i beleive...?)" --contributed by Mathiau --

Q -- What is RAM?

A -- Random Access Memory - Think of it this way:
The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the brain, the Motherboard is the nervous system, the Hard Drive is your long term memory, and the RAM is your short term memory, and electricity is the blood. So RAM helps launch programs and keeps information at your virutal fingertips, where as the hard drive stores it long term. (The file cabinet vs. the warehouse)

Q -- Is the RAM that comes in Apple computers Apple Brand?

A -- Nope, Apple doesn't do hardware so much - they generally find the best price on some RAM, work a deal and pop it in the machines.

So what are good brands of RAM?

- Crucial [Lifetime Warranty]

- G Skill [Lifetime Warranty] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231069
(got this link on the forums - GREAT price - works with most new Intel machines)

-- below contributed by Mathiau --
- Kingston

- OCZ

- Samsung (since they make most companies ram chips)

- Hynix

Where is a good place to order from?
- www.newegg.com

- http://www.crucial.com

- www.welovemacs.com

-- Below contributed by Mathiau --
- www.zipzoomfly.com - has free 3 day shipping on almost ALL items, or you cna upgrade to 2 day for liek $1.99

- www.directron.com - smaller company, but very good customer service from ym experience

- www.monarchcomputers.com - hear alot of good

- www.svc.com - used to get rave reviews, but seems not many speak of them since zipzoomylfy are around.

**If you have had good experience with a certain brand of RAM or a certain place to get RAM please reply with that information!**
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

G-skill has been mixed reviews i see, but for me it is more overclocking headrooms.

good ram companies to add

Kingston
OCZ
Samsung (since they make most companies ram chips)
Hynix

Also, other stores - sinze newegg is becoming rediculously expensice for shipping

www.zipzoomfly.com - has free 3 day shipping on almost ALL items, or you cna upgrade to 2 day for liek $1.99

www.directron.com - smaller company, but very good customer service from ym experience

www.monarchcomputers.com - hear alot of good

www.svc.com - used to get rave reviews, but seems not many speak of them since zipzoomylfy are around.

For your ram and buying paired sticks, perhaps add that this allows for "dual channel" mode, your ram will literally run twice as fast when in dual channel mode - the result of using identical sticks of ram - but this only applies in the new Intel based MAC's. (i beleive...?)

other wise great thread with very useful info.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Corsair Value Select very cheap, under GBP60 a stick at www.scan.co.uk

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

value select is cheap. but has slower ram timing which could affect performance, so be sure you dont get too slow of ram.

We should STICKY this.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

it's still PC5300 & DDR2

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

there is more info to memory then just the speed rated in the name , however the CAS timing's often wont be something people will notice unless they are obsessive compulsive about every microsecond of speed they can get out of their comp

<----
QUOTE Thanks
mikus

How do i know if a certain type of memory will work with my mac or not? i just bought a powerbook, and it takes pc 2700, but are there certain types of pc 2700 that don't work?

"Your Apple PowerBook G4 (1GHz, 15-inch) only supports modules made with a specific type of chip. Should you find what seems to be the exact same memory elsewhere for a lower price, it is very possible that the cheaper memory will not work in your computer."

that's what 4allmemory.com said, so i'm just making sure before i go shopping on newegg or wherever.

thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Errrm Whats CAS? why does RAM have different timings when it's all 667Mhz? is this legal? does it mean that if my timing is slower then the RAM I have does not operate at 667Mhz! Could this be a trading standards issue?

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Yes, it is legal, this is how companys can have like HIgh performance ram vs value ram, the CAS timings are slower = slower processing of info through the ram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Latency

if your ram is stated as runing at 667, that is the FSB it uses to talk to your system - it does run that fast, but other items make up a rams speed.

OEM's dont use high performance tight running ram, the ram, if it was lower CAS timings then the laptop will run, the ram should just run at the slower speeds, i had just mentioned this as Dell had a few lines of systems where if you tried to install higher performance ram - it just wouldnt work.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

Ok just looked up Corsair on the newegg site as they hold more info on the RAM spec.

Corsair Value is CAS 5 but then so are all the rest of the 1Gb DDR2 PC5300's. Which is about $10(6) more expensive than others.

Looks as though a lower CAS for this type of RAM does not exsist.

QUOTE Thanks
JamminJonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikus
How do i know if a certain type of memory will work with my mac or not? i just bought a powerbook, and it takes pc 2700, but are there certain types of pc 2700 that don't work?

"Your Apple PowerBook G4 (1GHz, 15-inch) only supports modules made with a specific type of chip. Should you find what seems to be the exact same memory elsewhere for a lower price, it is very possible that the cheaper memory will not work in your computer."

that's what 4allmemory.com said, so i'm just making sure before i go shopping on newegg or wherever.

thanks in advance!
Sorry for the long wait on this but check out this link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14870

not sure if that helps. Wish I knew more about Power PC based Macs! You may want to do a search for G4 Powerbook RAM and if there is nothing try starting a thread with that as the title so as to receive more responses.
QUOTE Thanks
mikus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJonah
Sorry for the long wait on this but check out this link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14870

not sure if that helps. Wish I knew more about Power PC based Macs! You may want to do a search for G4 Powerbook RAM and if there is nothing try starting a thread with that as the title so as to receive more responses.
Thanks a lot for the link! I ended up going with a macbook, and I think as long as i stick with 200pin pc2-5300 ddr2 i should be ok
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

yes, DDR2 does not have lower CAS timing yet like DDR, which can go as low as CAS 2, DDR2 is faster FSB, but they havent mastered the lower CAS timings.
QUOTE Thanks
chasincharpchui

so is corsair crap?
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

I've been looking to upgrade my PowerBook G4 from 1GB of RAM to 2GB. Been searching around and have been unsure which to buy. This thread has been a GREAT resource. Here is a question for the RAM experts. I found these two RAM modules. The only difference I can find is that the expensive one is made by Samsung and is stated as being "Apple Powerbook Approved". The other can be made by various manufacturers (including Samsung) but does not have the "Apple Powerbook Approved" moniker. Is there any performance difference or would I be paying a $70 premium (per stick) for the "Apple Powerbook Approved" moniker?

M9284G/A KTA-PBG4333/1G Samsung 1GB Samsung/Apple PowerBook Approved PC2700 DDR SODIMM $199.98

1GB Apple PowerBook G4 PC2700 DDR333 SODIMM $129.98
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dual monitors | iSight or Logitech »