New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Converting pc internal hard drives to Imac extneral hard drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kforum

kforum is an unknown at this point

MAC hardware gurus:

I ordering an IMAC 20" tomorrow. my current pc has new hardrives a 160g & 80g. I can buy and external hard drive case for apple, and use these drives as externals.

How easy is this going to be?

It it possible to slave one drive as a windows drive and the second as back up and video editing work space?

please advise of any pit falls

kjr _Switcher
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforum
MAC hardware gurus:

I ordering an IMAC 20" tomorrow. my current pc has new hardrives a 160g & 80g. I can buy and external hard drive case for apple, and use these drives as externals.

How easy is this going to be?

It it possible to slave one drive as a windows drive and the second as back up and video editing work space?

please advise of any pit falls

kjr _Switcher
I don't know of any Apple external cases, you can buy a third party one with FW or hard drive connectors. Any external through a FW port can be used, holding Option(I think) while booting with BootCamp should allow you to use it as the Windows drive. Wish I had an Intel with it to know for sure. I know you can definitely use an external as a backup - most laptop owners do just that.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'd recommend USB 2. Not because I like it better, but because your iMac will have more USB 2 ports that FireWire ports.

One other thing, since your pulling them from a Windows box, the Mac can read and write to FAT32 drives, but can only read (not write to) NTFS drives. You may need to format the drives as FAT32, assuming they are not already. I'd recommend using the Mac to do so, as it is easier to format them as FAT32 with OSX.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screen auto zooms on startup ???? | External Lacie HD »