New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I Know Nothing About External Hardrives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gingenosnam

gingenosnam is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook (Leopard)

I've always had Macs but never used an external hardrive. Can someone please tell me the basics? Does the space on the hd add to the macintosh hd? Or is it a seperate drive? If i transfer all my music from my computer onto an external hardrive will i still be able to play it in my itunes or do i need to create a new user?

Thanks very much
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

When you plug in an external hard drive, it shows up as a mounted volumn much like a CD-ROM or a USB pen drive. I believe you can tell iPhoto to put it's library on a different drive if you so desire, so no new user is required.
QUOTE Thanks
gingenosnam

gingenosnam is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook (Leopard)

thanks very much. in itunes preferences you can change the music folder location so i reckon thats all good. cheers
QUOTE Thanks
eechiwawa

I've just had my MacBook for a couple of days, and was thinking about buying an external hard drive to back up the contents of my 60GB iPod and also to store video files and backed up program files.
Are they fast when moving or playing files, and would firewire or USB2 be better?
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Well I'm using a firewire drive and I haven't had any problems, general consensus is that firewire is faster. Also you could use it as a boot drive which you can't with usb2.
QUOTE Thanks
eechiwawa

I would like the option to use it as a bootable drive, so firewire it is then. So, would it be possible to have a Windows XP partition on the external drive using Bootcamp and be able to choose between booting up from that or OSX from the internal drive?
I know that should belong in the Windows forum, but its really a ciontinuation of my thoughts about buying an external drive.

edit: Was looking at this - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...21&language=en
Firewire and USB. Can get it in the UK for about 90.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compact Keyboard | M9177LL 20" Cinema Display Parts »