New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

ColorSync 20 Inch + Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joggy

I have an old 20 inch ColorSync Display which I would like to connect to my MacBook, I have purchased the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

When I connect my screen to the MacBook I do get a picture on the screen, but I can't seem to get it to run more than 1280x768 in resolution. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, is there some kind of software I need to install on my MacBook?

Please bare in mind, that I am a switcher, and I have only had the MacBook for little of a month
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried opening the preferences and going to displays? it should load up the normal pref pane on your macbook and an extra one on the external screen. The extra one on the screen will allow you to change its settings, including increasing the resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

From the MacBook Tech Specs at Apples web site:

Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 768, 1024 by 640, 800 by 600, 800 by 500, 720 by 480, and 640 by 480 at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 at 3:2 aspect ratio

QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

baggss, those are the supported resolutions of the macbooks 13.3" display aren't they? joggy is talking about an external monitor 20"...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I think you may be right. The same page also says:

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 x 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

I suppose it could be the monitor itself though....

QUOTE Thanks
74YLOR3k

74YLOR3k is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.8,1Gb,80Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggy
I have an old 20 inch ColorSync Display which I would like to connect to my MacBook, I have purchased the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

When I connect my screen to the MacBook I do get a picture on the screen, but I can't seem to get it to run more than 1280x768 in resolution. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, is there some kind of software I need to install on my MacBook?

Please bare in mind, that I am a switcher, and I have only had the MacBook for little of a month
What is the native resolution of your external display(assuming its LCD)?

74YLOR3k
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bluetooth not working. | Windows formatted drive on a mac. »