New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Confused with monitor ports


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
revslide
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hi everyone, i've looked through the forums for an answer to my problem but to no avail.

Ok i'm using a 2002 quicksilver g4 with the stock geforce mx graphics card. I think this card has only ADC and VGA outputs.

Anyway i tried to connect this 19" viewsonic VA902 display that has only the standard VGA input it shows no signal when connected and returns to standby mode.

The question is that i'm puzzled why two VGA devices can't work.

I understand a ADC-VGA adapter could be used but what does the VGA output on my mac serves as then ?

I would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this issue. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
both my moniotrs are VGA - mine is probably similar to yours, ADC and VGA. I'm not sure what you're asking - is your new monitor not recognizing your VGA port, or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2004
Location: Luxemburg, Europe
Posts: 1,779
Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Avalon is offline
I'm not really sure what the question is either, but here's at least a bit of an explanation:
The Quicksilver stock graphic card (like most PowerMacs) supports 2 displays, all you need to use 2 VGA displays is an ADC to VGA adaptor.

If you have just one display, and it's VGA, you can use the VGA connector, the Mac recognizes automatically which one is connected.
If that's what you did, and it still doesn't work, try the display on an other computer (with the same cable). If it works, there's something wrong with the Quicksilver.
QUOTE Thanks
revslide
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I'm not really sure what the question is either, but here's at least a bit of an explanation:
The Quicksilver stock graphic card (like most PowerMacs) supports 2 displays, all you need to use 2 VGA displays is an ADC to VGA adaptor.

If you have just one display, and it's VGA, you can use the VGA connector, the Mac recognizes automatically which one is connected.
If that's what you did, and it still doesn't work, try the display on an other computer (with the same cable). If it works, there's something wrong with the Quicksilver.
Hi Avalon,

I apologise if my question was confusing. I intend to use only one display(VGA) for my mac. The problem is that it pops up a 'No Signal' message and then goes to standby mode(blank). I plugged the VGA monitor cable directly to my mac's VGA port.

It's a new monitor that works fine on another PC in my room so i'm really confused on the source of the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
revslide
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
both my moniotrs are VGA - mine is probably similar to yours, ADC and VGA. I'm not sure what you're asking - is your new monitor not recognizing your VGA port, or something else?
Hi machina,

Yes it seems the new VGA monitor doesn't work on my mac's VGA port. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
Have you tested the VGA port with any other monitor? If you get the same results then you r card may be shot - unless your ADC still works, and you can get an adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2004
Location: Luxemburg, Europe
Posts: 1,779
Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Avalon is offline
I'd go with deus' suggestion...try another monitore on that VGA port...if you still get no signal, try to take out the graphics card and put it back in and try again. Maybe it's just slightly unseated.
Does the Quicksilver boot normally? With startup sound and hard disk activity when starting it?
QUOTE Thanks
revslide
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Have you tested the VGA port with any other monitor? If you get the same results then you r card may be shot - unless your ADC still works, and you can get an adapter.
Unfortunately i don't have any spare VGA monitors around. I'll try to get one and find that out.

I think the VGA port on my mac should be working as i've never plugged anything into it before. Only used the ADC port since i bought my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
revslide
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I'd go with deus' suggestion...try another monitore on that VGA port...if you still get no signal, try to take out the graphics card and put it back in and try again. Maybe it's just slightly unseated.
Does the Quicksilver boot normally? With startup sound and hard disk activity when starting it?
Yea my mac seems to start normally. In fact while the VGA monitor is powered and plugged in(Blank), i took it out and plugged my old apple display into the ADC, the screen shows up.

Anyway i will try to reposition the graphic card like you said. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Printer trouble | HDD & Maxtor One Touch III Opinion »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Im confused...please help. iRizzo Schweb's Lounge 13 06-28-2006 02:52 AM
Confused - EyeTV 200, USB or Miglia USB? jcw Other Hardware and Peripherals 5 11-15-2005 05:31 AM
confused about ram (dual g4 1ghz MDD) nutter Apple Desktops 4 09-03-2005 05:59 PM
Mac Got me Confused!! PrintNazi Schweb's Lounge 16 08-09-2005 11:40 PM
iBook or Powerbook.... confused! Joeytpg Switcher Hangout 9 06-23-2004 09:32 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?