New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

DVD Data Backup Error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

garylu

I've been having trouble backing up data onto DVD. The backup process either failed during copying data or during verifying. It will take many fail attempts (up to 4 times) to get a successful DVD data backup.

The drive is a LaCie d2 dual interface (USB2, firewire 400) Mac DVD writer hook up to a G3 iMac running OS9, backing up data from a pc file server. The disc I use is DVD-R.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What brand of media are you using?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
garylu

I tried TDK and some generic brands. They all have the same problem. I used the same disks to burn movies and the turn out fine. Do you think the media would make a difference? If yes, what brand of media have you tried that would work well?
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the error you are getting when the burning stops? The iMac G3 is a rather old machine and maybe you are getting buffer under runs. Are any other applications running when you are trying to burn? What speed you burning at? How is the drive hooked to the iMac? USB? Firewire? What CPU speed is the G3?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i definately think you are getting buffer underruns especially if you are burning files from your server via your g3

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
garylu

It's either freezed during burning or during the verification stage. The funny thing is that when it failed during the verification stage, the disc is only partially burned (You can tell by looking at the back of the disk.

It was hooked up via Firewire 400 interface. The buffer under-run protection was turned on. We tried 4X and 8X and actually, 8X tend to have better chance of complete the burn. The CPU speed shouldn't make too much difference since these tasks are not processor intensive applications.

I also tried it on Dual G4 station. I tend to have problem during recording. It recorded without error, but failed during verification too. However, unlike the iMac G3, when burning it on the Dual G4, the disc seem to burn complete but with unreadable bad sector during verification.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nokia N80 | extigy help »