Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Has anyone found a reliable Firewire hub?
    I want to get a reliable Firewire hub, preferably with 6 ports. I've been reading reviews on various models, most of which have mixed reviews saying they fail with certain components, among other problems. Has anyone found a reliable model? I need to be able to connect a couple external Firewire hard drives, a Firewire DVD burner, an iSight, and occasionally a digital camcorder.
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by coach_z
    the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
    -chris
    Yes, they can be daisy-chained, but for most devices the device has to actually be turned on for the daisy-chain to function (i.e. get any power). I have an external hard drive, external DVD burner, and MiniStack v2 and none of the second Firewire ports work with the devices turned off. That means that if I want to use use my DVD burner, I have to turn on my MiniStack. Or unplug it and plug it into the Mini. It stinks! That's why I want a hub

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57
    I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!
    Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p

Specs:
    Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2
    Quote Originally Posted by kaidomac
    Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p
    Try unmounting the disk in DU.

Thread Information