New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Has anyone found a reliable Firewire hub?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
I want to get a reliable Firewire hub, preferably with 6 ports. I've been reading reviews on various models, most of which have mixed reviews saying they fail with certain components, among other problems. Has anyone found a reliable model? I need to be able to connect a couple external Firewire hard drives, a Firewire DVD burner, an iSight, and occasionally a digital camcorder.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

 
coach_z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 23, 2004
Location: North NJ
Posts: 3,169
coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

coach_z is offline
the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

 
mac57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 4,560
mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

mac57 is offline
I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
-chris
Yes, they can be daisy-chained, but for most devices the device has to actually be turned on for the daisy-chain to function (i.e. get any power). I have an external hard drive, external DVD burner, and MiniStack v2 and none of the second Firewire ports work with the devices turned off. That means that if I want to use use my DVD burner, I have to turn on my MiniStack. Or unplug it and plug it into the Mini. It stinks! That's why I want a hub

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!
Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

 
IronMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 08, 2004
Posts: 578
IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

IronMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac
Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p
Try unmounting the disk in DU.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« creative vista plus webcam | Can't log in into a website »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wtf just happened..... iLEFTOVERCRACK Apple Notebooks 9 06-12-2008 03:26 AM
firewire? skateit12 Switcher Hangout 10 03-14-2006 10:39 PM
G4 Firewire Devices not found Mister E Other Hardware and Peripherals 4 06-12-2005 06:11 AM
4-port USB 2.0 firewire 400 hub osxuser Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 02-16-2005 10:19 PM
Firewire hub and stuff... Macman Other Hardware and Peripherals 4 12-27-2004 01:38 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?