New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Upgrading components

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vixxen

My lil sis has a G3 which she is using for multimedia, dv editing, animation etc. At the moment she is complaining that her mac is almost grinding to a halt under the extensive rendering etc.
Currently she has 384 mbs of ram and her graphics card is only a geforce4 mx.
Would i be right in saying that the first thing to be upgraded is memory and graphics card!? I have spoken to a lot of mac users who have at least a GB of ram.

I know it seems a silly question but im a pc user and assume mac and pc are both the same 'under the bonnet' I have suggested that she upgrade her graphics card, but what do think is the best choice for her?
I have been looking and in her price range have so far seen GeForce FX5600XT 256MB DDR AGP DVI VO and CONNECT 3D RADEON 9600 256MB DDR DVI+TV.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
ipmedia

If she already has GeForce4MX, that's fine. For image rendering what you need most is processor power. Take a look at Processor upgrades, from Sonnet for instance. They have a variety of upgrades, and I think you can upgrade the G3 to a G4. Or, worse cast, at least upgrade to a higher G3. The graphics card she has is fine, a little more RAM will help, but the Processor is the best bet!
QUOTE Thanks
ipmedia

Oh, and for another "speed boost", you can also install an ATA133 controller (PCI) for faster hard drives!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
lt1derful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipmedia
Oh, and for another "speed boost", you can also install an ATA133 controller (PCI) for faster hard drives!!!!!
I couldn't agree with this more, as far as image rendering goes...gotta have the faster drives in there. I'm still new to Macs myself, but I know you can't beat those 15K SCSI drives in a PC! schweet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB Mirror Issue | G5 and onboard bluetooth »