Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Macally PHR-100AC Probs (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/36471-macally-phr-100ac-probs.html)

chief99 06-16-2006 03:49 PM

Macally PHR-100AC Probs

Well i decided to get the FW+USB 2.0 version of the Macally enclosure, but I am having problems with it.

I put a 160gb Hitachi Deskstar drive in it, but when I plug it in, A diologue box comes up saying the disk could not read. I opened disk utility and the drive was there, recognized as '153.4gb PI-010V2' However, when I try to format (erase) the drive, I get the error:

'Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error'

Any ideas?

Badger 06-16-2006 07:47 PM

What are the jumpers set at? They should be at master or cable select, not slave.

geekboy2000 06-16-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief99
Well i decided to get the FW+USB 2.0 version of the Macally enclosure, but I am having problems with it.

I put a 160gb Hitachi Deskstar drive in it, but when I plug it in, A diologue box comes up saying the disk could not read. I opened disk utility and the drive was there, recognized as '153.4gb PI-010V2' However, when I try to format (erase) the drive, I get the error:

'Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error'

Any ideas?

Same error when you connect via USB? I've seen a similar issue with certain firewire chipsets. As I understand it now, the Oxford chipset is probably the best for performance and compatibility, especially with the Intel Macs.

Mark

chief99 06-17-2006 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.

The same error happens via USB aswell, so it cannot be the firewire.

I have the jumpers set to master, but I will try CS when I get home.

coach_z 06-17-2006 12:41 PM

jumpers should not matter in firewire drives. take it apart and make sure that your cables are all seated correctly

chief99 06-17-2006 03:50 PM

Well the jumper settings didnt make a difference.

I checked all the connections I could see and as far as I am aware there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I just tried a different hard drive in there (which was a really old 40gb) and it worked straight away, so it must be the HDD I was using.

Thanks for all your help though!

geekboy2000 06-17-2006 03:54 PM

FWIW, the oldest drive I have that still functions (though it now sits on a shelf) is a 6GB IBM DeskStar. Unfortunately though, I found that as time went on, they seemed to steadily downhill. Now (in order of my preference), I use only Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung drives. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Mark

chief99 06-17-2006 06:14 PM

Well if i decide to buy a new HDD to go in, which drive would you reccomend?

Im looking for around the 100-200gb zone, depending on price.
Thanks alot guys!