New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Having problems with your Belkin USB hub?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Edit: Looks like a short-term fix. The problem comes back after I switch between devices. I suspect it may be a poor USB port architecture; I'll test it more tomorrow.

A year or so ago, I purchased a 7-port Belkin USB hub. It worked okay, some of the time, with some of my peripherals. This past week I decided to give them another shot and picked up a 5-port USB hub with an integrated iPod dock (Belkin TuneSync, about $40 at Buy.com). Snazzy little white unit with LEDs up front. Same problem. For example, my tablet would act like a mouse rather than a tablet - it would draw, but with no pressure sensitivity and the expresskeys wouldn't work. My keyboard would occasionally drop out and my mouse would stutter. I was really bummed because it seemed like it was a great solution, especially since I plan on getting a MacBook which only has two USB ports (I use about 10 USB devices on a regular basis - mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.). I shot off a tech support inquiry to Belkin, not really expecting a reply that would work, but was suprised to get this response in my inbox today:

"Have you tried moving the power supply for the hubs directly to a wall outlet?"

Have I tried WHAT? I keep all of my computers on UPS battery backup units (or just surge protectors for the laptops). I decided what the heck, I would give it a try. What do you know...it worked! To make a long story short, if you're having problems with your Belkin USB hub, try plugging the wall wart (A/C adapter) directly into the wall socket rather than into a UPS or other power-sharing device. I have tested this in various places on my UPS and it does not work. I have tested this directly connected to the wall and it works. I have also tested this with a 10' power extension cable with 3-ports at the end and it works (the Belkin was the only device on the extension cable). I would imagine that the hub will work as long as it is the only device connected to a UPS or power strip; I'll give those methods a try later this week.

So, if you're having problems with your Belkin USB hub, just plug it directly into the wall and all of your problems should be solved. Yay!
QUOTE Thanks
almiroty

almiroty is on a distinguished road

hi:
when i read your post i was very hopeful, but it didn't work for me. any other ideas?
g
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
Edit: Looks like a short-term fix. The problem comes back after I switch between devices. I suspect it may be a poor USB port architecture; I'll test it more tomorrow.

A year or so ago, I purchased a 7-port Belkin USB hub. It worked okay, some of the time, with some of my peripherals. This past week I decided to give them another shot and picked up a 5-port USB hub with an integrated iPod dock (Belkin TuneSync, about $40 at Buy.com). Snazzy little white unit with LEDs up front. Same problem. For example, my tablet would act like a mouse rather than a tablet - it would draw, but with no pressure sensitivity and the expresskeys wouldn't work. My keyboard would occasionally drop out and my mouse would stutter. I was really bummed because it seemed like it was a great solution, especially since I plan on getting a MacBook which only has two USB ports (I use about 10 USB devices on a regular basis - mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.). I shot off a tech support inquiry to Belkin, not really expecting a reply that would work, but was suprised to get this response in my inbox today:

"Have you tried moving the power supply for the hubs directly to a wall outlet?"

Have I tried WHAT? I keep all of my computers on UPS battery backup units (or just surge protectors for the laptops). I decided what the heck, I would give it a try. What do you know...it worked! To make a long story short, if you're having problems with your Belkin USB hub, try plugging the wall wart (A/C adapter) directly into the wall socket rather than into a UPS or other power-sharing device. I have tested this in various places on my UPS and it does not work. I have tested this directly connected to the wall and it works. I have also tested this with a 10' power extension cable with 3-ports at the end and it works (the Belkin was the only device on the extension cable). I would imagine that the hub will work as long as it is the only device connected to a UPS or power strip; I'll give those methods a try later this week.

So, if you're having problems with your Belkin USB hub, just plug it directly into the wall and all of your problems should be solved. Yay!
I wonder if there's not more going on with OS X (I'm on 10.5.2) and USB hubs in general. I've got 2 Macs, a G4 Mini, and an Intel Core Duo iMac (now 2 years old), and I've always had problems with both Macs finding peripherals connected via hubs (powered, and directly into wall outlets). Just today again, I ran into a problem with my iPhone not charging via the USB hub. I popped in an older Targus 4 port hub, and it immediately worked. I see situations like that, or long delays in recognizing connected flash drives, on a pretty frequent basis. I see that Targus makes a nice looking vertical 7 port USB hub, so I may pick up one of those. I don't get it. I really thought that Mac/USB support would improve when they went Intel, but IMO, it's still flakey. So, off I go to try another hub (the Targus, because the 4 port one seems to work well).

Mark

"I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
" - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

I grabbed a Targus ACH81US at MicroCenter today for $39.99, and everything is instantly recognized. It's got 2 "high power" USB ports, and audio pass-thru (I have no need for that, but it's a nice feature).

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=ACH81US

Let's hope it continues to work as well as it does right now.

"I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
" - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix
QUOTE Thanks
TheLordsServant

TheLordsServant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MDD G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.75GB RAM 120GB HDD Radeon 9000Pro 20" Acrylic Cine

Hmm, that's odd, I use a Belkin 4 port with my dual G4 running 10.4.11 and haven't had a single problem

My Mac: (1 Of Many)
G4 Mirror Door 1Ghz Dual 1.75GB RAM 120GB HD Superdrive 20" Acrylic Cinema Display
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I use a D-Link H7 USB 2.0 hub and it always forgets at least one device that is connected to it when I plug it into my Macbook Pro. Never been sure if this was a hub problem or a mac one.

So Belkin may not be alone with some USB issues.
QUOTE Thanks
dingster1

dingster1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz

I'm using both the Targus one Geekboy is using and the Belkin 7 port. No problems with either as of yet. Had them for about a month each
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook Memory Upgrade | Old iBook problem »