New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

help me please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greaser

So I just got a performa 6400, upgraded to g3, running OS9. my question is how can i run from my 8 prong female plug on the back of the Mac to my Ethernet plug in(fat phone cord) on the back of my modem? If there is an adapter, do you know what its called and where I could get one? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you talking about that strange looking port called an AAUI I believe? If so there are adapters. I will try to find you one on the net. Will also look up the 6400 and see what ports are there.

Edit: ok looked it up. Forgot which it was. You need to get and install a PCI Nic Card. Read this URL Carefully as they cover it all.

http://www.zone6400.com/files/ethern...MM_II_Ethernet

I forgot I have a 6400. What worked for me was a kingston PCI Nic that came with my older DSL package. Has Mac drivers. I think the Kingston card I have is a 111. Will check later.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

moved, thanks for understanding.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Just to expand on what dtravis7 posted: The "eight prong socket" is an Apple serial port, not an ethernet port. The serial ports are for printers, external telephone modems etc. I had a 6400/G3 until 3 weeks ago; I used a SMC ethernet card in mine. As referenced above the 6400 Zone is a great site for info on these models. The home page is occassionally updated, the links are still good and its forum is active.
QUOTE Thanks
greaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Are you talking about that strange looking port called an AAUI I believe? If so there are adapters. I will try to find you one on the net. Will also look up the 6400 and see what ports are there.

Edit: ok looked it up. Forgot which it was. You need to get and install a PCI Nic Card. Read this URL Carefully as they cover it all.

http://www.zone6400.com/files/ethern...MM_II_Ethernet

I forgot I have a 6400. What worked for me was a kingston PCI Nic that came with my older DSL package. Has Mac drivers. I think the Kingston card I have is a 111. Will check later.
hey thanks for your help i found a Farallon Fast EtherTX (YPN998L-TX/5) Network Adapter is that the one i need? i looked for the nexnic nd010 and couldnt find it anywhere. thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac hard disk crash | Keyboard issues... »