New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Lexmark X6170

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

I have a powerbook G4 and I was trying to convince my parents to get a Mac Mini. Then they asked if the printer (Lexmark X6170 All in One) would work with it. I assumed that since Apple recently released the adds about how everything just "works" with a Mac that I would just be able to plug it in to my powerbook and show them it would work fine with a Mac Mini. well that was not the case. I have been googling this problem for a while now and it seems that there really is no solution. Maybe the solution would be to use several different drivers for different parts of the printer since it is a scanner/printer/copier/fax all together.

Thanks for the help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Once you plug the printer in did you define the printer using the printer utility?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Yes I opened the printer utility and it recoginized the printer as a X6100. But then it required a driver set I wanted to use. So I selected Lexmark, then it asked which Lexmark model, so I searched the extensive list of lexmark products which did not include the X6170 or any X6100 series printer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://lexmark.vecmar.com/X6170.htm

It says it works with OSX.

This does not look good though.

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...&Number=260230
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

:mad:

Lexmark sent me back this email...

"Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the problems you are experiencing
with your Lexmark product. To the best of my knowledge, there are currently
no plans to develop Mac drivers to support this model. Thank you for
notifying us of this request. I will forward your comments on to our
development department, as it is only through input from you, our
customers, that we can make these important business decisions."

So there is nothing I can do.
QUOTE Thanks
G Catalanotto

G Catalanotto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: "new" iMac 20"

I just bought an iMac and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170. I emailed Lexmark and they gave me the same stock answer as in the previous post (word for word!). I guess we know what that means. Give up and buy a new printer. How many months is it until Christmas?
QUOTE Thanks
mew

mew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 24" display, 3.06GHz processor, 500GB hard drive

I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I visit alot of thrift stores and see lots of Lexmark printers. That tells me they have issues and to stay away from them. Good luck to ya.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?
If Lexmark hasn't developed a driver, then you're reliant on third parties to do so. According to this site, one can use a Lexmark Z55 driver for partial functionality (you'd need to manually choose this from the list of drivers). If that doesn't work, or if the printer doesn't have all the support you're looking for, you're probably going to want to pick up a new printer.

In my experience, although Lexmark's printers perform well, the drivers are usually overly-complex (i.e. the "brains" of the printer are in software to cut cost) and the cartridges are prohibitively expensive. So, in the long run, you might be better off just going with a different brand.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard cannot see the Freecom Mobile Drive pro 320 GB USB | Internal HD won't Mount »