Thread: Lexmark X6170

Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    Lexmark X6170
    I have a powerbook G4 and I was trying to convince my parents to get a Mac Mini. Then they asked if the printer (Lexmark X6170 All in One) would work with it. I assumed that since Apple recently released the adds about how everything just "works" with a Mac that I would just be able to plug it in to my powerbook and show them it would work fine with a Mac Mini. well that was not the case. I have been googling this problem for a while now and it seems that there really is no solution. Maybe the solution would be to use several different drivers for different parts of the printer since it is a scanner/printer/copier/fax all together.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Once you plug the printer in did you define the printer using the printer utility?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Printer Utility
    Yes I opened the printer utility and it recoginized the printer as a X6100. But then it required a driver set I wanted to use. So I selected Lexmark, then it asked which Lexmark model, so I searched the extensive list of lexmark products which did not include the X6170 or any X6100 series printer.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    http://lexmark.vecmar.com/X6170.htm

It says it works with OSX.

This does not look good though.

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...&Number=260230

Specs:
    :mad:

Lexmark sent me back this email...

"Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the problems you are experiencing
    with your Lexmark product. To the best of my knowledge, there are currently
    no plans to develop Mac drivers to support this model. Thank you for
    notifying us of this request. I will forward your comments on to our
    development department, as it is only through input from you, our
    customers, that we can make these important business decisions."

So there is nothing I can do.

Specs:
    "new" iMac 20"
    Unhappy Still the same...
    I just bought an iMac and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170. I emailed Lexmark and they gave me the same stock answer as in the previous post (word for word!). I guess we know what that means. Give up and buy a new printer. How many months is it until Christmas?

Specs:
    iMac, 24" display, 3.06GHz processor, 500GB hard drive
    lexmark x6170 printer problems
    I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?

I visit alot of thrift stores and see lots of Lexmark printers. That tells me they have issues and to stay away from them. Good luck to ya.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?
    If Lexmark hasn't developed a driver, then you're reliant on third parties to do so. According to this site, one can use a Lexmark Z55 driver for partial functionality (you'd need to manually choose this from the list of drivers). If that doesn't work, or if the printer doesn't have all the support you're looking for, you're probably going to want to pick up a new printer.

In my experience, although Lexmark's printers perform well, the drivers are usually overly-complex (i.e. the "brains" of the printer are in software to cut cost) and the cartridges are prohibitively expensive. So, in the long run, you might be better off just going with a different brand.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information