New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Monitor resolution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm having problems upping the resolution on my monitor. It's a 21" Apple CRT from a few years ago (it looks like a massive coloured Imac) and only in 1024 x 780 will the picture fill the screen. If I up the resolution, I get a huge black border around the whole screen. On PC monitors you can just resize it, but I only have brightness and contrast buttons and a button surrounded by a rainbow spectrum, which doesn't do anything even if pressed and held.

Any ideas?

I'm in Tiger by the way.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I could be mistaken, but I think you can change your monitor's geometry settings in your System Preferences under "Displays" for certain monitors.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

There's no mention of geometry and this is what the help says:

Quote:
Click Geometry and select the kind of adjustment you want to make. For example, to change the height or width of the screen image, select Height/Width.
If no Geometry pane is available, your monitor doesn't support making screen adjustments from Display preferences.
I came across PDF instructions for the monitor, but it makes no mention of OS X, just 8 and 9. There was software to download for OS 9, but it seems to have been disregarded for X. This was a very expensive monitor and it's only 6 or 7 years old so it's absurd that I'm stuck in low res on a 21" screen.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis
I'm having problems upping the resolution on my monitor. It's a 21" Apple CRT from a few years ago (it looks like a massive coloured Imac) and only in 1024 x 780 will the picture fill the screen. If I up the resolution, I get a huge black border around the whole screen. On PC monitors you can just resize it, but I only have brightness and contrast buttons and a button surrounded by a rainbow spectrum, which doesn't do anything even if pressed and held.

Any ideas?

I'm in Tiger by the way.
I've always been able to resize the screen on my 17" (1999) Apple CRT (mine's graphite not blue). Are you sure you've tried all the buttons?
QUOTE Thanks
Alvin Meister

Hi

I have tried all the buttons, both pressing them briefly and holding them down. Brightness and contrast worked in OS 9, but in Tiger they don't do anything, along with the 'control panel launcher button'.

Here's the instruction manual (1998):

21" CRT
QUOTE Thanks
Alvin Meister

Oops, I just had a thought. I forgot to plug in the USB lead, which it says it needs for the software controls!

End of the week brain fade I think!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to get iMovie UB transitions? | QuickCam Pro 4000 & Other Options? »