New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Power PC vs. Intel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Does anyone here believe that PPC proc. is better than the intels? I went to the apple store today and some of the intel macs were frozen. Im considering getting a Powerbook before switch to intel. Any ideas?

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Well I think that both PPC and Intel CPUs have their advantages and their disadvantages.

In the current situation ref Mac processors, on the PowerPC side you have a group of processors that are capable (more than?) in speed and greatly tested and proven.
On the Intel side you currently have a group of chips which are new, pretty unproven, yet seemingly quicker than the PowerPC chips.

So in essence this is a battle of Old Vs New and it's a battle of 'Proven and Fast' Vs 'Un-Proven and Very Fast'.
If you buy a Mac with a PowerPC chip in it now, you're buying a Mac which is proven and tested, reliable and fast.
If you buy a Mac with an Intel chip in it now, you're buying a Mac which is fairly un-proven and un-tested, seemingly reliable and very very fast. Essentially though, you're buying into NEW technology and you need to be accepting of the good and the bad that comes with that.

Personally I believe that anyone who buys EITHER of these CPU based Macs is going to buy a really great computer either way and that both will be supported for a long, long time.

I certainly don't believe that a PowerPC chip is better than an Intel Chip, but at this stage I wouldn't like to say the Intel chip is better either. It may be faster.....In areas....But really it's all swings and roundabouts.
Certainly though, when the Intel chips are more proven, tested and their architecture is fully taken advantage of by software developers, I believe the answer to your question will be very simple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best reccommendation for portable hard drive | Emac and wireless internet »