New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Need speaker opinions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hi guys & gals!

I'm currently ditching my old (broken) Technics amp & crap speakers for a new music setup.
Since I only ever listen to my iPod / iBook I figure an active 2.1. speaker system is the way to go.

Since this will be my only stereo system I'm willing to spend a bit on it - I don't need/want/have room for surround sound!

Right now I'm considering:
-Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II (about 140)
-Bose Companion 3 (can get these for roughly 200 new)
-Acoustic Energy Aego M
-or good cheap active studio monitors

Rejected:
-Logitech Z 2300 (sent these back: the mids are really lacking to my ears. Nice & detailed - but just no soul to them somehow...)
-Klipsch Promedia (can't find them easily in Germany)

Budget: 100-200
Please help me decide! I don't want to have to send another system back...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I feel the same way as you do about those Logitechs. They are good speakers for the cost and computer type speakers, but they lack Mids. No life.

Too bad you can't find the Klipsch as for computer speakers they sound real good. Studio Monitors with a separate Amp is the real way to go for accurate music if you can afford it though.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
I feel the same way as you do about those Logitechs. They are good speakers for the cost and computer type speakers, but they lack Mids. No life.

Too bad you can't find the Klipsch as for computer speakers they sound real good. Studio Monitors with a separate Amp is the real way to go for accurate music if you can afford it though.

Hmmm, I actually found a dealer that has the "Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1" for around 200,-

Are those the Klipsch you would recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Well, you already know my suggestion:
Get the Soundsticks! :cool:

Though I was told the Bose Companion 3 sound good too, but I never heard them myself.

But if you can get the Klipsch, they are the best choice, I would say.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes those are the ones I own, the 2.1 Promedias. I would suggest though if you could, go take a listen to them. Speakers are a very subjective thing. For computer speakers though I and many others really like the Klipsch. One reason I like them over the Logitechs is most Lotitechs do not have a Tweeter. I really do not like one driver covering the whole range between 100HZ say and 20Khz. I have a pair of Logitechs like that and the Midrange sounds so sucked out. Give them a listen first though if that is an option.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Thanks for the input guys...
Avalon: Yeah, I remember favoring JBL's entourage over the Soundsticks in a discussion with you: I still like the sound, but after hearing them again with my own music I couldn't say which I prefer the HarmonK's or the JBL's - but the point is moot since the encounter's are just too fugly. (IMO - though I'm sure they might look cool in certain setups!)

dtravis7: Klipsch seem to have two 2.1. promedia's:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=924
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=923

Which are the ones you like? In germany if you order online the dealer MUST give you a 14 day return option, so I could order & audition these and send them back if necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Your First URL is the set I have. I forgot about those other ones. Interesting looking but I have never seen nor heard them.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I have some Altec Lansing XT1 laptop speakers and they are wonderful, so I wouldnt rule out Altec Lansing.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

I like the Harman/Kardon speakers, I have some, not the soundsticks, and their great. good quality.
QUOTE Thanks
Shadowfax

Shadowfax is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD

I would steer well clear of Altec Lansings 2.1 offerings(BUZZING SUBWOOFER)
The Bose companions, to be honest, are a total let-down, the Acoustic energy sound great, but neither of these are in the same league as the Harman Kardons, if your worried about power, relax, Harman Kardans amps are always very under rated.

GO WITH THE SOUND STICKS!
QUOTE Thanks
ajresovsky

ajresovsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe

I've had Companion 2 for a year now and just love 'em!!! :p

The simplicity, the design and, of course, the QUALITY

Cost more, but....

A-a-h Yes, A Computer without windows, is like a fish
without a bicycle, :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I have the JBL Creature II setup. Great sound throughout the range and nothing to complain about. I recommend them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel Imac ATI Radeon X1600 Drivers | Overclocking »