New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Overclocking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

osvoldk

osvoldk is on a distinguished road

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before. I recently considered the idea of overclocking, but I am uncertain to whether or not there is software available to overclock video-card, processor, etc. Are there any, and if so, where?

I will not run five kilometers with water.
Yo no correré cinco kilómetros con el agua.
Ich will nicht mit das Wasser fünf kilometer laufen.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

A mac can not be overclocked it would destroy the processor due to heat, Because overclocking even a little would cause such a jump in processor power that it would not be able to be cooled, pluss, it is not easy to do (infact i don't think it has actually been done to a G5) and could dammage a already expensive system.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
A mac can not be overclocked it would destroy the processor due to heat, Because overclocking even a little would cause such a jump in processor power that it would not be able to be cooled, pluss, it is not easy to do (infact i don't think it has actually been done to a G5) and could dammage a already expensive system.
But you can do it on G4s (PowerMacs and Minis MAYBE iMacs but definitely not PowerBook and iBooks). It's different on each mac so if you could tell us exactly which computer you want to overclock that would be a heap of help.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

A lot of people overclocked their G4 mac minis, it isn't easy because it required soldering.

Some of the older iBooks could have their CPU's overclocked with software...

If you want to overclock your video check search for: ATIccelerator II.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Sure you can overclock your computer, but as everyone said, it could harm your hardware.

Here's a program called iCook that overclocks iBooks. You didn't list you computer, so I really don't know what you're looking for however.

*I'm in no way responsible for what you do to your computer*
:mac:

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I have over clocked g4's, and I can tell you for a fact that a g5 of any kind CAN'T be over clocked. the structure of the system is so different, everything is made in such a way to work with each other for optimized performance, so in a g5, if you over clock the processor, you'd have to over clock or replace everything else in it. to OP: what kind of mac are you wanting to over clock?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The 800Mhz eMac could be overclocked to 1,2Ghz from what I remember, though it required soldering.
QUOTE Thanks
osvoldk

osvoldk is on a distinguished road

well i wanted to see if it would be possible to overclock with an iBook, but apparently several have said that it would not be a wise move on my part. The question that I would have is: "would it still be an unwise move considering that I have a laptop cooler?

I will not run five kilometers with water.
Yo no correré cinco kilómetros con el agua.
Ich will nicht mit das Wasser fünf kilometer laufen.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

pscl227 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram

I have my 1.25Ghz G4 mac mini happily running here at 1.5Ghz ever since week one (i got it around 4 weeks after it was launched.) not a single problem
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

I'm curious to see how long it will take for folks to start overclocking the Intel Macs.... It doesn't seem like it would be as hard as PPC seeing as how PC techies have been OCing their x86 machines for years.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
2000blasterboy

so would it be safe to use icook to overclok my g3 800 to 900mhz-1ghz?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
That depends on how much balls you got.

Most Intel overclocking comes from within the BIOS itself, which is normally built into the Motherboard. I'm sure it is possible with a software overclocking program, such as ClockGen from cpuid.com
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

just a note, you can entirely replace the processor on the intels too, look at the guys who added a dual core to a mini, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91459 thats pretty insane.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blasterboy
that depends on what you consider safe. if possibly frying your ibook is safe, then it's safe. such a small change in processor speed wouldn't create too much more heat, and you most likely wouldn't notice a HUGE difference. but to put it simply, it would be safe, though it would most likely get extremely hot when running processor intensive apps.
QUOTE Thanks
djmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
If you want to overclock your video check search for: ATIccelerator II.
I just over clocked my ATI 9200 in my ibook. Are there any protections in place to ensure that it shuts down before it gets too hot and frys my ibook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need speaker opinions! | External HD wont work »