New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Machine preparing backups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I realize I have posted this question a while back, but after erasing my external hard drive and reformatting (journaled) my backups still seems to be stuck in the "preparing" mode from anywhere to15-20 minutes before actually starting. Does this mean I should just purchase a new ext.hd? Any input would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The first thing I would do is mount the drive in Disk Utility, select it and verify the disk. Fix any errors that may be reported. Then try the backup again. If that does not fix the problem try these tips.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
The first thing I would do is mount the drive in Disk Utility, select it and verify the disk. Fix any errors that may be reported. Then try the backup again. If that does not fix the problem try these tips.
Yeah I forgot to mention that did verify the disk and it showed no problems. However on my next backup I will follow your tips. Thanks for the link.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Let us know if that solves the problem. If this does not cure the problem I think I have seen a few other tips that might be relevant.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesidedog View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention that did verify the disk and it showed no problems. However on my next backup I will follow your tips. Thanks for the link.
I was hoping this would work. But it hasn't. Any other suggestions?

Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesidedog View Post
I was hoping this would work. But it hasn't. Any other suggestions?
How much data do you have to backup? The 15 to 20 minutes preparation may be normal if the amount of data is very large. Since the drive checks OK and you followed the hints that Slydude linked you to, the only thing left may be to put a new drive in service. You can retain the older drive along with the new one in case you need to recover data from it sometime.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How much data do you have to backup? The 15 to 20 minutes preparation may be normal if the amount of data is very large. Since the drive checks OK and you followed the hints that Slydude linked you to, the only thing left may be to put a new drive in service. You can retain the older drive along with the new one in case you need to recover data from it sometime.
About 260g. out of a 1tb. western digital.

Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Access to Time Capsule Configuration | OSX 10.10 - Compatibility issues with RAT 7 mouse? »