New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Air (2008) screen contents on iMac (2011)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonsonrr

jonsonrr is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Air from 2008 and I would like to connect it up to my 2011 iMac so that it displays the contents of my MBA on the iMac's screen.

It looks like I have the "Apple Micro-DVI to DVI Adapter" (part: MB203G) which came with my MacBook Air and so I would need a Micro-DVI to Thunderbolt converter like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-MI...-DVI-CABLE-CON VERTOR-FOR-MAC-PC-Mini-DP-/331028854802

Do you think that it would work?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm assuming you're wanting to setup your 2008 MBA so that you can access it from the iMac via "Target Disk Mode"? Target Disk Mode requires either both machines to have Firewire or Thunderbolt ports. As long as the adapter is not too expensive, it might be OK to give it a try to see if you can get it to work.

Read the following article: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
jonsonrr

The cable is only 6.90, but I wasn't sure if it would work. My MBA is actually the first one from Early 2008 and it only have a micro-DVI and USB so my options are limited.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-MI...-DVI-CABLE-CON VERTOR-FOR-MAC-PC-Mini-DP-/331028854802

I want to simply display my MBA's contents on the iMac, still controlling it from the MBA.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I want to simply display my MBA's contents on the iMac, still controlling it from the MBA.
That's entirely different. Before we can give you a yes answer, we need to know which iMac you have - year and model. Be aware that only the 27" iMac models have a video input as well as output. If your iMac has two Thunderbolt ports, then you should be able to display the MBA screen on the iMac via the adapter you mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Read this description of screen sharing and see if it will do what you need.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jonsonrr

The cable fitted as it should but the image did not come through, I made sure everything was as it should be but it just wasn't going to work, I guess the hardware was too old

I did read that it might not work as the 27" iMacs from 2009 were to only support DisplayPort video input, as I had the micro-DVI I might be (and was) out of luck: Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Time capsule and Technicolor TG799vn v2 | SSD Disk MacBook Pro 15'' »