wireless keyboard - life expectancy
    How long would you expect a keyboard to work? Mine goes on and off unpredictably and I'm wondering whether to buy another or go for something more durable

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by juliad View Post
    How long would you expect a keyboard to work? Mine goes on and off unpredictably and I'm wondering whether to buy another or go for something more durable
    If you are nice to it…it will be nice to you. Should last a long time.

Make sure you're using new batteries.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Central New York
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Life expectancy of the keyboard, or life expectancy of the batteries in the keyboard? The keyboard should outlive the usefulness of your computer. The batteries, at most with regular usage, maybe 6 months or so.
    Blog and Photo Gallery:

Currently running OS X 10.10

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    A bit depends upon the quality of the keyboard too. I bought one of the first Apple Bluetooth keyboards. It survived several years of almost daily use for multiple hours a day. It survived numerous drops from lap or desk level to the floor. My current Logitech solar keyboard was dropped twice and I've already had to glue a keycap in place after only a few months.

Edit: Some cheaper bluetooth keyboards I've tried seem to have trouble staying connected with the Mac but have little or no trouble pairing with the Apple TV.
    Last edited by Slydude; 07-26-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

life expectancy of keyboard
    Well, it's not the batteries, I've replaced them with new ones several times already and have tested them. It loses its light, and can't be turned on, then I leave it for a while and it works for a bit, then stops suddenly again. I've borrowed one temporarily and was wondering about buying a new one, but it sounds like it might be worth getting it repaired - I bought it with my Snow Leopard about 4 or 5 years ago, and the computer is still going strong. It's not been dropped and no spillages, so I can't see a reason for the malfunction. The wireless mouse also stopped working! I may stick to usb accessories, though I do prefer wireless.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    Even if ou have wireless, and mine are now five years old, always have a wired set of kb and mouse as a backup. For what it is worth quality Energizer Lithium batters last six months on mouse/trackpan, ten to twelve for keyboard.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

wireless keyboard life expectancy
    thanks, yes, I'm buying a new one, can't cope with unpredictability, it's hard enough getting down to work anyway without technology failing. It's not the batteries, I have replaced them with brand new ones - but I will use the lithium ones in future. I'm giving up on wireless gadgets, mine have both let me down too many times, back to spaghetti junction of leads for me…. thanks for the replies everyone

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Your posts make me think that the actual problem you're having is Wi-Fi interference from other devices (like cordless phones) or from neighbours' Wi-Fi networks.

Even though your kb and mouse use Bluetooth rather than Wi-Fi, they are all on the same bandwidth (2.4GHz) and so interference is possible. Obviously your solution of using USB-based equipment will also solve that problem.

Thread Information