New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Best all-in-one inkjet printer for Mavericks 10.9.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lwebster

lwebster is on a distinguished road

What is the best printer for Mavericks 10.9.3. My old Canon Pixma 500 won't work with Mavericks and I see some of the newer Epson printers has compatibility issues. I am not a fan of HP which seems to be the main printer that Apple is offering on its website.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

What kind of issues are you having? The Canon site auto detected my 10.9 install and suggests that the driver may be provided by Apple. Have you tried going to the Printer and Scanner preference pane and adding the printer from there?

If you select OS 10.7 from the Canion site drivers are shown for that printer. The 10.7 driver probably works with 10.9.

BTW if you add the printer through the Printer/Scanner preference pane do that with the printer connected. Otherwise I don't think it will find the printer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
lwebster

Interesting because when I contacted Canon technical support directly they said that the Canon Pixma 500 is too old to be supported with driver updates for Mavericks. My Samsung Laser also just died. So I'm in need of a printer. Don't care for HP. Epson seems to indicate there may be loss of functionality with OS X 10.9 I'm running 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well try this. Should as Sly suggested come up with drivers automatically.

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : PIXMA MP500

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Exactly. That's the page that auto detected my Mavericks installation.

@OP My Canon Pixma MP 990 works well under 10.9.4. I had the drivers in place before updating to Mavericks. I don't remember for sure but may have reinstalled the driver since moving to Mavericks. If I did I used the Printer/Scanner preference pane.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

i am using an Epson XP-610 with no issues running 10.9.4.
QUOTE Thanks
lwebster

Thanks all. However, for the Pixma 500 this is the message I get on the Canon link when I click on drivers after selecting Mavericks 10.9

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.

When I called Canon they said no drivers available for Mavericks for the MP Pixma 500.

So, unless Canon tech support doesn't know what they are talking about, I'm in the market for a new printer. Am wondering what printers folks might recommend.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebster View Post
What is the best printer for Mavericks 10.9.3. My old Canon Pixma 500 won't work with Mavericks and I see some of the newer Epson printers has compatibility issues. I am not a fan of HP which seems to be the main printer that Apple is offering on its website.
Well, why not just buy a new Canon - last spring, I purchased the Pixma MX922 mainly because I wanted AirPrint to use wirelessly w/ our iPads - installed fine on my iMac (now running OS 10.9.4) cabled via USB - now only $100 on Amazon (must be about to be D/C?) - my only complaint (other than the cost on ink!) is its slowness which seems to be a plague w/ all of these multi-cartridge ink jet printers. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61NNyBDr1gL._SL1500_.jpg (21.8 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Printer manufacturers always quit "supporting" their printers when they hit 2 yrs old.
That does not mean they won't work - they're just not going to assist you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebster View Post
Thanks all. However, for the Pixma 500 this is the message I get on the Canon link when I click on drivers after selecting Mavericks 10.9

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.

When I called Canon they said no drivers available for Mavericks for the MP Pixma 500.

So, unless Canon tech support doesn't know what they are talking about, I'm in the market for a new printer. Am wondering what printers folks might recommend.
Thanks
That's why I suggested plugging the printer in and trying to add it through the Printer/Scanner System Preferences. When I ran through the site I used the Pixma 500 as the printer I wanted drivers for.

Before you spend good money on a new printer try the suggestions from my previous post. If the printer doesn't load throughout the printer/svanner preference pane try the 10.7 driver from the Canon site. With many printers drivers from previous OS versions still work if the OS is recent enough.

QUOTE Thanks
lwebster

Thanks all. I did try locating the driver through system preferences and it says "software for this printer is not available from Apple. So, I will try the previous driver versions on the Canon website but based on what Canon told me, they have not updated the drivers and don't plan to do so since the Pixma 500 is 6+ years old. Its been a great work horse.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Will look into Epson and Canon Pixma MX 922 Probably time to upgrade anyway as I would like ADF for scanning.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I'm not sure they are the best judge of this unfortunately. My Pixma MP 990 dates back to about 2010 and works well with Mavericks. The previous model MP 980 dates to at least 2009 and probably works as well since it can use the same driver.

Edit: I missed it when I looked last night but the Gutenprint Printer Drivers have the MP500 listed as a supported printer. Support is listed as Experimental. In there terminology that generally means there may be an occasional bug or not all features fully supported yet. I've used their drivers before and had them perform as well as there Canon driver.

Note: IIRC the "experimental" designation can also mean that it has some features enabled that the Canon driver does not typically have enabled,

Last edited by Slydude; 07-14-2014 at 01:59 PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reliability of LaCie EHDs | Duplicate Pics »