Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2014
    Posts
    17
    mac does'nt see my HDD
    hi, i have a new macbook pro running mavericks, am trying to move my data from my seagate 1.5TB HDD to mac, when connected to mac i dont see the HDD on finder or disk utility or under usb in system info, so i checked my usb ports by connecting flash drive they are working fine, i tried running my mac in safe mode, still mac does'nt see my HDD format fat32. my HDD is working with my PC but not mac. please help

  2. #2

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,754
    Quote Originally Posted by sreeram View Post
    hi, i have a new macbook pro running mavericks, am trying to move my data from my seagate 1.5TB HDD to mac, when connected to mac i dont see the HDD on finder or disk utility or under usb in system info, so i checked my usb ports by connecting flash drive they are working fine, i tried running my mac in safe mode, still mac does'nt see my HDD format fat32. my HDD is working with my PC but not mac. please help
    Try a different USB cable.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2014
    Posts
    17
    The same USB cable is working fine with my PC, am able to transfer my data from PC to HDD.

  4. #4

    GrannySueSnaps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    84
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
    Have you tried leaving it plugged in and rebooting your MAC to see if it will recognize it?
    GrannySueSnaps
    Sue Stinnett
    http://grannysuesnaps.photos

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2014
    Posts
    17
    yes i did reboot, i did tried in safe mode as well, but no luck at all. i can see the light on my HDD and hear the sound that the disk is running, when connected. am sure the external drive is absolutely fine, cause am able to use it on my PC now. The external disk is checked under general, preferences. the closest apple store is 150 miles from here. please help me fix this.

  6. #6

    GrannySueSnaps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    84
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
    Do you have your own Network? In other words if you have your pc turned on can your MAC see your PC? IF so then can you attach the drive to your PC and then allow the MAC to access it?
    GrannySueSnaps
    Sue Stinnett
    http://grannysuesnaps.photos

  7. #7

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,754
    Quote Originally Posted by sreeram View Post
    The same USB cable is working fine with my PC, am able to transfer my data from PC to HDD.
    Try a new one anyway. It may well not be the cable, but you'd be dumbfounded over how often it actually is the cable, even when working on another computer.

    In the meanwhile, has this drive ever been properly usable as it is formatted now on this Mac? If so, have you done anything since last used, like update the OS? What version of OS X are you using?

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2014
    Posts
    17
    right now i have the PC and mac in front of me, am able to use the HDD on my PC with out a problem, and this is a one day old mac running on os 10.9.4, this is the first time am connecting this HDD to my mac and my mac does'nt recognise the HDD.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,059
    Which "Seagate 1.5TB HDD" model do you have and does it use USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports and cables, as if that should matter?

  10. #10

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,754
    Quote Originally Posted by sreeram View Post
    right now i have the PC and mac in front of me, am able to use the HDD on my PC with out a problem, and this is a one day old mac running on os 10.9.4, this is the first time am connecting this HDD to my mac and my mac does'nt recognise the HDD.
    Run Disk Utility. Does the drive show there? If so, can you post a screen cap of what it shows with that drive selected.

    And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, try a new cable. The last guy we told to do that lied about doing so; wasted 2 days of our time before actually trying a new cable; then lo and behold... it was working.

  11. #11

    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    10,316
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    @sreeram is this one of those drives that draws power through the USB cable without a separate electrical cord? Some of those do not play well with certain Mac models. They will either not mount at all or be very temperamental.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2014
    Posts
    17
    seagate 1.5TB portable HDD, draws power through the USB 3.0. i borrowed another seagate 1TB portable HDD, which also draws power through USB 3.0, from a friend and that works fine with my MAC, so i exchanged the cable still my HDD does'nt work with my MBP. it wouldnt show up any where on MBP, even though the light goes on and i can hear the disk running noise. should i just give up on my HDD or is there any way i could actually get this working with my MBP.
    To clarify more i have even reset my MAC to factory settings using internet recovery. My HDD works with every other device(my PC and friends mac) except my MBP.

  13. #13

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,754
    Can you provide a screencap as requested earlier? Also, which exact Mac model/year is this? I know you said new, but a lot of people buy a used or refurbished one and tell us it's new when it's really "new to them". Also, what version of OS X are you running? And are you certain it's formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS?

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by sreeram View Post
    seagate 1.5TB portable HDD, draws power through the USB 3.0. i borrowed another seagate 1TB portable HDD, which also draws power through USB 3.0, from a friend and that works fine with my MAC, so i exchanged the cable still my HDD does'nt work with my MBP. it wouldnt show up any where on MBP, even though the light goes on and i can hear the disk running noise. should i just give up on my HDD or is there any way i could actually get this working with my MBP.
    To clarify more i have even reset my MAC to factory settings using internet recovery. My HDD works with every other device(my PC and friends mac) except my MBP.

    It's really sounding like somethings goofy with the MBPro and its USB port. But it's odd that it's light is on and you can hear it spinning.

    At least the drive itself and it's data will obviously be intact, just not accessible with your MBPro.

    Unfortunately the 'net is full of Mac posts and discussions about external drives not mounting, and especially even with the latest Mavericks versions.

    Do you have another Mac to try and see if it mounts or did you try your seagate 1.5TB portable HDD on your friend's computer you borrowed their seagate 1.5TB portable HDD from?

    Using a different external enclosure to put the Seagate HDD in would be interesting to see if it would then mount and work properly.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Can you provide a screencap as requested earlier? Also, which exact Mac model/year is this? I know you said new, but a lot of people buy a used or refurbished one and tell us it's new when it's really "new to them". Also, what version of OS X are you running? And are you certain it's formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS?

    It's nice to know all the details, but all Macs and all OS X versions should have the ability to at least read NTFS and FAT formatted USB drives shouldn't they??

    But why do I read of so many having trouble getting their USB drives to mount regardless of proper format?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Don't find HDD anymore after interrupted HDD erase in disk utility
    By Vertigo68 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 08:58 PM
  3. MacBook Pro 4,1 OEM HDD swap to Seagate 640GB HDD
    By nvr_home in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
  4. Unable to see ext HDD when connected Mac to Mac
    By dj.amos in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •