New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MagSafe power adapter with in-genuine AC cable?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jack.tuck

jack.tuck is on a distinguished road

I brought a used 13.3" MBP 2011 which came with a 60W MagSafe power adapter, but no ac power cable (the cable which interfaces with outlet & adapter). I have found an power cable which fits, but Is this safe to use? I am rudimentary when it comes to electrics.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

We recommend only using a genuine Apple cable and power adapter. You can buy one at an Apple Store, Best Buy, Staples, Fry's, Micro Center, or any other store which sells Apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
jack.tuck

I agree, but I don't want to buy one unless necessary. If this in-genuine power cord has the same voltage, would it be safe to use?
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

There's no reason at all you shouldn't or can't use any AC cord with the power adapter, assuming it has the correct connections.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.tuck View Post
I agree, but I don't want to buy one unless necessary. If this in-genuine power cord has the same voltage, would it be safe to use?
Cords are cords (in this case)…there's nothing special (electrically speaking) about the cord. Other than having the proper plug for the country it is used in…and of course it has the proper connector on the other end to fit the "power brick".

I mean you may find less expensive "knock-off" cords (non-Apple)…and these may not be the same quality (just like many "knock-off" products).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jack.tuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Cords are cords (in this case)…there's nothing special (electrically speaking) about the cord. Other than having the proper plug for the country it is used in…and of course it has the proper connector on the other end to fit the "power brick".

I mean you may find less expensive "knock-off" cords (non-Apple)…and these may not be the same quality (just like many "knock-off" products).

- Nick
Thanks for the help! To clarify, though, it's not a knock-off, per-say, it was just intended for something else; an ac adapter for xbox 360 recharge kit in this case.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.tuck View Post
Thanks for the help! To clarify, though, it's not a knock-off, per-say, it was just intended for something else; an ac adapter for xbox 360 recharge kit in this case.
Do you have a photo of it? I didn't think any other cord had the same connector on the end that would fit an Apple Magsafe power adapter.

FYI…these cords here in the United States are selling for $3.95 or less on eBay. Give eBay on your end a look:

Genuine Apple MagSafe Power Adapter Charger Cord for Apple MacBook Pro iPad New | eBay

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

I believe chscag thought the mag safe charger was non genuine, not the cable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

My guess is he has an AC cord for the ac adapter for xbox 360 recharge kit that has the similar AC power end that Apple's power adapter uses. i.e.: also almost the same as some printer's AC/DC power plug.

IE:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16FHJGgFFm6PEV9bBSF-jYubyQ~~60_1.JPG (13.3 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

And speaking of cheap knockoff adapters as I just finished posting elsewhere:

Just a warning...!!! But for any Apple users, Apple has their own recall/replacement programs around the world, just check their sites:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/usbadapter-takeback/

Apple 5W European USB Power Adapter Exchange Program - Apple Support

The warning and fatality mishap:
Husband of Gosford nurse electrocuted by phone charger tells of heartbreak | Mail Online
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP all in one won't scan | Thunderbolt To Macbook Air Query »