New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Thunderbolt To Macbook Air Query

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarcChamberlain

MarcChamberlain is on a distinguished road

I have a 6TB Thunderbolt external device that i had with my iMac 27' - i no longer have the iMac instead i have a Macbook Air 11' Late 2010 which doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, only USB x2 and a mini display port

I have tried the Thunderbolt device/cable in the mini display port but nothing loads

Can anyone help on pointing me in the direction of a device/adaptor that will allow my Thunderbolt device to connect to the Macbook Air?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Can anyone help on pointing me in the direction of a device/adaptor that will allow my Thunderbolt device to connect to the Macbook Air?
Thunderbolt is backward compatible with MiniDisplay Port, however, I don't believe it works the other way. In other words you can't adapt a MDP output to a thunderbolt device. You would need a TB output on your MacBook Air in order for it to work. Buy a new MacBook Air and that will resolve your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
MarcChamberlain

MarcChamberlain is on a distinguished road

Not really looking to buy a new Macbook, have heard there is a few adaptors
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't believe there is anything that will permit you to do what you want.

Displayport is a video port - it is not a data port - the keyword here is "display" - specifically, it is a "video output" port - you definitely are not going to be able to use a displayport on a computer from a TB, FW, or USB external device.

I'd have to suggest you pop the drives out of the TB case and put them into a USB case to use them with that computer. And that's going to be a problem if it's some type of RAID device and you don't want to lose the data on those drives.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I've seen rumors that something is in development from one of the dock/adapter manufacturers but no indication of when it will be available. Theres lots of stuff to give thunderbolt-equipped Macs various ports but that does not help your situation.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

As you don't want to "Buy a new MacBook Air and that will resolve your problem", (makes sense to me ;-) ) , what about just removing the drive and install it in a USB enclosure, assuming that the Thunderbolt external device contains a 6TB hard drive.

A USB enclosure would probably be cheaper than any adapter even if one did exist as the makers have to pay Apple their TB royalties which aren't cheap!! Oh yes, and add manufacturing permissions etc. I's say it ain't gonna happen!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@pm-r

I thought that's what bobtomay said (above).
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Yikes!!! Am I getting that blind that I missed that.

Sorry.

Well, at least the suggestion got reinforced.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MagSafe power adapter with in-genuine AC cable? | Hard drive disappeared when reformatting for Time machine »