New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hard drive disappeared when reformatting for Time machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsuloo

gsuloo is on a distinguished road

I am new to this, so this is my first entry into the forum. Correct me if I am wrong.I bought a Seagate Extension 2 GB hard drive for MacBook to store data via Time Machine about a year ago and it worked fine until a few weeks ago when it failed. I was given a new 2GB Seagate Extension. I had to reformat it from PC to Journaled Extended. I have done this many times before without a problem. This time Disc Utility performed the reformat and confirmed it. I turned my computer on the following day. No Seagate Extn? It no longer can be seen as a device. I could not use it for Time Machine. I am still using OSX10.7 as I have been told my MacBook cannot handle the new operating system.

Last edited by gsuloo; 06-27-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: More information
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forums.

Can it be seen in Disk Utility at all now?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
gsuloo

Hello mrplow!

The Seagate can no longer be seen as a device or in Disc Utility or Disc Tools Pro. I apologise for the delay in my reply. I am located in Western Australia and time differences with the US is between 8 to 12 hours depending on West Coast or East Coast. There is a 7 hour time difference between the UK and me.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

My first instinct is to check the cable and port Do you have another device that can plug in to that port to make sure it's working (printer, another drive etc)? If that device works then the cable is OK. Sounds like the drive may have packed it in.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm thinking that Seagate replaced the failed drive with a refurbished one. They state that very clearly in their warranty. It could be the replacement drive has likewise failed although what you mentioned about the cable should be checked first.
QUOTE Thanks
gsuloo

Thank you Slydude!
I have already tried swapping cables and ports. I hear the drive running and see a light flickering for a moment or two but it still remains invisible. You may be right. The brand new drive may have died!
QUOTE Thanks
gsuloo

I got the new Seagate from the dealer. It was a new one off the shelf! The Seagate FreeAgent I bought years ago is still running strong. Perhaps it is a dud model!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Definitely sounds like the drive itself. Apologies for my delay. I'm actually in the uk. The time difference doesn't get much worse!

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
gsuloo

Thank you mrplow, Slydude, and chscag for your help! Now I have to find the invoice again and back to the dealer.
Cheers!
gsuloo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbolt To Macbook Air Query | Will a Samsung 840 EVO ssd run okay with a windows partition? »