Hard drive disappeared when reformatting for Time machine
    I am new to this, so this is my first entry into the forum. Correct me if I am wrong.I bought a Seagate Extension 2 GB hard drive for MacBook to store data via Time Machine about a year ago and it worked fine until a few weeks ago when it failed. I was given a new 2GB Seagate Extension. I had to reformat it from PC to Journaled Extended. I have done this many times before without a problem. This time Disc Utility performed the reformat and confirmed it. I turned my computer on the following day. No Seagate Extn? It no longer can be seen as a device. I could not use it for Time Machine. I am still using OSX10.7 as I have been told my MacBook cannot handle the new operating system.
    Last edited by gsuloo; 06-27-2014 at 05:04 AM. Reason: More information

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Welcome to the forums.

Can it be seen in Disk Utility at all now?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Hello mrplow!

The Seagate can no longer be seen as a device or in Disc Utility or Disc Tools Pro. I apologise for the delay in my reply. I am located in Western Australia and time differences with the US is between 8 to 12 hours depending on West Coast or East Coast. There is a 7 hour time difference between the UK and me.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    My first instinct is to check the cable and port Do you have another device that can plug in to that port to make sure it's working (printer, another drive etc)? If that device works then the cable is OK. Sounds like the drive may have packed it in.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I'm thinking that Seagate replaced the failed drive with a refurbished one. They state that very clearly in their warranty. It could be the replacement drive has likewise failed although what you mentioned about the cable should be checked first.

Thank you Slydude!
    I have already tried swapping cables and ports. I hear the drive running and see a light flickering for a moment or two but it still remains invisible. You may be right. The brand new drive may have died!

I got the new Seagate from the dealer. It was a new one off the shelf! The Seagate FreeAgent I bought years ago is still running strong. Perhaps it is a dud model!

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Definitely sounds like the drive itself. Apologies for my delay. I'm actually in the uk. The time difference doesn't get much worse!
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thank you mrplow, Slydude, and chscag for your help! Now I have to find the invoice again and back to the dealer.
    Cheers!
    gsuloo

Thread Information