New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Printing from MacBook Pro to Canon IR Adv 6255

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wc3213

wc3213 is on a distinguished road

Hello I am sys admin at a private school. We have Canon IR Adv 6255. We have serveral 10.0.x MacBook Pros that do not print to this machine. It was properly added with Mac drivers and so forth but will not connect. Does anyone know about this?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Can you tell me the exact driver that was tried?
UFR II? Version? for which OS X version?
Does the printer have a Fiery (postscript) controller?
QUOTE Thanks
wc3213

Yes ufr ll 4 I think. Os 10.9.x macbook pros. What is Firey postscript.? Is that what I need. I will see if I have it
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3213 View Post
What is Firey postscript.? Is that what I need.
Fiery is an add-on which changes which driver you use. You don't "need" it, but if you have it that would explain why the UFR II driver isn't working. You need to download the correct driver for the specific model you have.

And I forgot to ask - does the printer require a user code?

Last edited by gsahli; 06-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
wc3213

I still dont know if I have it (firey post script) I am checking with Canon. By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

Quote:
By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.
OK, which of the 3 drivers did you try?
PS, PPD or UFR II

If it was the UFR II again, try one of the other two. PPD is the simplest driver, using OS X generic postscript internals.

And what protocol are you using to add the printer? I suggest you use IP > HP Jetdirect protocol. That's instead of Bonjour or others.

Have you tried using USB just as a test?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
I still dont know if I have it (firey post script) I am checking with Canon. By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.
Hello - I'm assuming that you want to print 'wirelessly' from the MBPros - correct? If so, the easiest way is to have a printer that is AirPrint Compatible - check the link for a list of printers that have this Apple proprietary technology - I have a MBPro w/ the most current version of Mavericks - prints via Wi-Fi to my Canon Pixma printer..

Of course, an alternative is to 'wire' (e.g. USB) the laptops in some fashion or put the printer on your network, e.g. I have an older Brother laser printer (not an AirPrint one) also that I can print to 'over the air'.

Is the printer connected (i.e. wired) to a computer - there are apps that can be placed on a computer and allow the laptops to print wirelessly - I use to have one on my old PC (now have an iMac) called FingerPrint from Collobos - they offer a subscription service now, so check out their website to see if that might work?

Finally, Canon may be able to suggest an option either w/ their own software or a network solution - good luck. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

wc3213:
I don't have a Canon printer, so my help is limited to general, found on the web, advice. If you want specific help with that printer on a Mac, I suggest you post on the discussions.apple.com OS X > Mavericks > Printing discussion area. There is a user called PAHU who is an expert at Canon printers. He works with them every day.
When you start a new Discussion, put your printer model as well as something like "paging PAHU" in the title.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
wc3213:
I don't have a Canon printer, so my help is limited to general, found on the web, advice. If you want specific help with that printer on a Mac, I suggest you post on the discussions.apple.com OS X > Mavericks > Printing discussion area. There is a user called PAHU who is an expert at Canon printers. He works with them every day.
When you start a new Discussion, put your printer model as well as something like "paging PAHU" in the title.
Hi Gsahli - why don't we let Wc3213 respond before sending him off to another forum - there is plenty of expertise here and the OP has not clarified his/her situation well nor has he/she responded to questions in my post. Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD in my Mac Pro mid 2009 model? | Does iMac DVD support D9 discs? »