New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Capsule Disappeared???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wanda

Wanda is on a distinguished road

I back up to an external HD that used to show up on my desktop. For some reason it no longer is there, although disk utility says it's mounted. Failed both verify and repair attempts with the error message "invald sibling link:betweent "checking catalog file" and "rebuilding catalog-B tree"
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You will need a more advanced tool to repair the drive, assuming it hasn't crashed outright. DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro both have repair modules that are more advanced than what Disk Utility can do.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Best recommendation, buy a new drive - that one is dead.

New drive <$100
Disk repair utility $100 and could continue having problems with the drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Wanda

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll take bobtomay's advice.

A related question: How do I capture my old Time Machine files and transfer them to the new hardware?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll take bobtomay's advice.

A related question: How do I capture my old Time Machine files and transfer them to the new hardware?
Assuming the old drive hasn't died completely, you'd need an advanced repair tool like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro. Even then, I wouldn't count on being able to copy the entire contents of that drive. It likely has died or is dying. Obviously, spending the money on a recovery tool will only be of value if you have something on the backup that you MUST recover if at all possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Wanda

Since I'm not able to access any of the data on the external HD now, what do you all think about me reformatting it to see if Time Machine will recognize it?
QUOTE Thanks
chinajon

chinajon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24 @ 3GHz

If there is nothing on the drive you want, you can format it. But it might be recoverable and the drive may be ok. Without trying to recover the drive, you will never know. If you recover it, you can copy the files to a new drive if you desire. You don't know enough at this point to just give up and format the drive. If the drive is dead then it is dead. But until you know, don't go off half cocked.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
Since I'm not able to access any of the data on the external HD now, what do you all think about me reformatting it to see if Time Machine will recognize it?
Sure, you can try. But the point we've been trying to make is that the file system is corrupt likely because the drive is failing or has failed. Even if you successfully reformat the drive, you are still going to have an unreliable drive, and an unreliable backup is as good as no backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Wanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Sure, you can try. But the point we've been trying to make is that the file system is corrupt likely because the drive is failing or has failed. Even if you successfully reformat the drive, you are still going to have an unreliable drive, and an unreliable backup is as good as no backup.
Point is taken. Will purchase new drive and go from there.

Thanks, all, for helping me focus on reality!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back up drive security | Battery charging problem »