New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Gutting PowerMac G5 - HDD assembly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Hey all, I'm in the process off gutting first of the two PowerMac G5s i have because i want to turn them into legs for a table. I have pretty much gotten everything out, but i'm trying to figure out how to get the hard drive assembly piece out, and i can't figure out how to get it past the upper lip of the case. I was able to loosen it, but i can't figure out how to get it out of there.

I'm sure i would need to remove the plate on that separates the hard drive and CD drive from the mobo, but i removed the screws to the case and it won't slide out. Any ideas on how to remove that, because i bet if i get that out, the HDD assembly will fall out.

Thanks

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you're using these two Powermac G5's as table leg's…why do you need to gut them…or gut them 100%?

As far as the question. I don't think too many of us have a Powermac G5 laying around. And if we do…I don't think that we want to experiment with it to find the answer. I think that you just need to "follow your nose"…and figure it out as you go.

I know that some parts/mounting assy's in some Apple computers are "pop-riveted" (or riveting of some sort). And these need to be drilled out.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Yea i thought it would ask, because i know a lot of people take apart G5s to make things out of them, but it's all good. I wanted to gut them more as a weight savings idea. They won't be individual legs, but it'll make sense once it's all done. I'll probably post up shots once i'm done with it. But yea, i might just take a dremel to those areas to get it apart.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
They won't be individual legs, but it'll make sense once it's all done.
Ok…I see. I was imagining a narrow table of sorts…with a PM G5 supporting each end.

More weight could be beneficial depending on the design. Might make the table more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
I'll probably post up shots once i'm done with it.
Looking forward to seeing it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« western digital internal hardrive is not recognised | ADC F-22 to intel imac A1224 »