Desktop publishing for mac
    Can anyone recommend a programme for DTP for a Mac?
    I use Open Office but do have pages, is pages any better?

I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
    Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
    Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
    Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
    Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com
    Thank you. I want to do a newsletter with photos. I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves. Must try with Pages.

Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves.
    What is your delivery mode for the newsletter?

This will determine the output format, although it is hard to imagine it'll be anything, but PDF, the only question is whether it is print-ready, or online distribution?

The latter will be perfectly served by OpenOffice built-in PDF engine, the former might require something a bit more sophisticated, if you have to deal with bleeds, crops, trims, layers, etc, etc ...

To prevent anything shifting in your newsletter, that is if you're simply sending it to your subscribers via email, or making it available through other online distribution means, just use OO own, excellent PDF creator: click File, then select this:

If, on the other hand, you're sending this to commercial printers, particularly for a 'proper' offset printing, then much will depend on their setup and requirements - let me know if that's the case, I'll be able to guide you through the process
    Dvid

You might want to try Scribus - open source project, been around for a decade.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.

Also, I would stay away from "Swift Publisher" as it's difficult to use and understand. I own a copy and very quickly put it on the shelf. I also own a copy of Pages, however, I don't use it for layout work so can not comment on how well it does it. But if you have a new Mac, then Pages may be your best choice since it's free.

Specs:
    2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
    ''QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals''

Do people still use Quark!? Depending on your budget/job complexity you could also consider InDesign.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.............
    1+ - wife is on our iMac and does some basic DTP and a former user of MS Publisher, iStudio Publisher seems to be an excellent replacement for her, and at a good price. Dave

Thread Information