New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Desktop publishing for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sapper

sapper is on a distinguished road

Can anyone recommend a programme for DTP for a Mac?
I use Open Office but do have pages, is pages any better?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com
QUOTE Thanks
sapper

sapper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com
Thank you. I want to do a newsletter with photos. I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves. Must try with Pages.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves.
What is your delivery mode for the newsletter?

This will determine the output format, although it is hard to imagine it'll be anything, but PDF, the only question is whether it is print-ready, or online distribution?

The latter will be perfectly served by OpenOffice built-in PDF engine, the former might require something a bit more sophisticated, if you have to deal with bleeds, crops, trims, layers, etc, etc ...

To prevent anything shifting in your newsletter, that is if you're simply sending it to your subscribers via email, or making it available through other online distribution means, just use OO own, excellent PDF creator: click File, then select this:

If, on the other hand, you're sending this to commercial printers, particularly for a 'proper' offset printing, then much will depend on their setup and requirements - let me know if that's the case, I'll be able to guide you through the process

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You might want to try Scribus - open source project, been around for a decade.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.

Also, I would stay away from "Swift Publisher" as it's difficult to use and understand. I own a copy and very quickly put it on the shelf. I also own a copy of Pages, however, I don't use it for layout work so can not comment on how well it does it. But if you have a new Mac, then Pages may be your best choice since it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
born_to_hula

born_to_hula is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays

''QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals''

Do people still use Quark!? Depending on your budget/job complexity you could also consider InDesign.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.............
1+ - wife is on our iMac and does some basic DTP and a former user of MS Publisher, iStudio Publisher seems to be an excellent replacement for her, and at a good price. Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 16v or 19v on external battery pack | Connecting camcorder to macbookpro »