New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HP all in one won't scan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skillet01

Skillet01 is on a distinguished road

I have a HP 6200 all in one, which I installed on this computer when it was running leopard. (processor 2.66, memory 8 gigs) I up graded to mountain lion, and now my printer won't scan. It will still print and copy fine. but when I hit Scan I get this message (on the computer window) that says:No Scan Options You need to run or install printer software. I went into the HP folder and clicked on HP Scan Pro, and got this message: "Sorry, scanner could not be utilized (scanner not found)" I do have the original software, which I could reinstall. Is that what is in order here? Or is this printer just not going to work with Mountain Lion.

Thanks for any insight.

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

One correction--HP OfficeJet 6200, if that makes a difference.

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

carlhataway is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

Skillet01, I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 and had issues with syncing with the Mac when I was running Mountain Lion, I installed Mavericks and had no more problem with the Mac talking to the printer. Can you scan from your 6200 to your Mac using the scan button on the printer? Is the 6200 a wireless or wired connection?
Carl

Carl, Mac Pro 2.4GHz Xeon Processors, 10.9.3, 4x4TB HDD's, 32GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD5870 Video Card, 1st Optical Bay SuperDrive, 2nd Optical Drive Bay Pioneer BDR-208 BDK, Dual 32" 32LK450 LG HDTV for Monitors with HDMI connections and a Viewsonic 27" Monitor
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

The printer is wired, and when I hit the scan button on the printer, I get the message I quoted above. I really don't want to upgrade to Mavericks after reading about all the problems people are having with it.

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

I'm sorry you don't want to try mavericks, I've had it since it came out and have had no problems with anything. My computer is primarily used for video editing using FCPX. I scan photos into the Mac for montages and have never had an issue with the all in one seeing the computer. I know this doesn't fix your problem right now but for free if it doesn't help your printer situation you can always go back to Mountain Lion. Another possibility would be to uninstall the printer and all associated software, re-boot and re-install the printer see if that helps. Good luck I know your anguish!

Carl, Mac Pro 2.4GHz Xeon Processors, 10.9.3, 4x4TB HDD's, 32GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD5870 Video Card, 1st Optical Bay SuperDrive, 2nd Optical Drive Bay Pioneer BDR-208 BDK, Dual 32" 32LK450 LG HDTV for Monitors with HDMI connections and a Viewsonic 27" Monitor
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

Thanks! I'll un and re-install.

skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Before you do check what is in the Applications Folder under your HP software. My Epson TX550W used to scan from the button on the printer, but with the latest update, there is a Scan folder in Applications. Using this makes the scanner function, not the button on the printer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

I tried that. it tells me there is nothing in the tray. that's never come up before.

Thanks,
skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

and now when I go to the HP folder and click on Scan Pro, it tells me a scanner cannot be found.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try removing it from System Preferences by hitting the little (-) button and re-installing.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

okay--uninstalled, and when I tried to re-install with the original cd it would not install since it was made for older system. I'm surprised the printer even continued to print this long. I suspected all along it was a problem with Mountain Lion. Luckily I do have another one I can set up. I hope.

Thanks for all the advice to all who replied.

skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

If you attempt to install or update the HP software on Mountain Lion using the software CD that came with your printer, or using a previously downloaded driver, an 'Unsupported Operating System: This installer is not compatible... ' or 'This HP software may not be compatible with your version of Mac OS X ' message displays on the computer. Check this page out if you haven't already;
An 'Unsupported Operating System' or 'Software not compatible' Message Displays on a Mac Running OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion HP Officejet 6200 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support

QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

Thanks very much!

skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

Skillet01, hope you got your all in one squared away,.

QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

Actually, I gave it to my young niece who has a G4 laptop--works fine for her, and she can use it for school stuff. I've ordered a canon all in one which it promises will run on mountain lion.

Thanks,

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAID Macbook Pro Late 2012 | MagSafe power adapter with in-genuine AC cable? »