New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I'm a klutz!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Klutz101

Klutz101 is on a distinguished road

I accidently spilt lemonade on my Macbook Air keyboard. As it is part of a student-school program I cannot fix it or pay for someone not advised by the school to fix it. When I tipped over my glass, it spilt over the lower half of my keyboard. I immediately turned it off and tipped it upside down, before patting it down with paper towel. Even though the battery or inner hardware of my laptop are still working, some of the keys are sticky when I press down on them (space bar, N, V, F, G and H). The keys are backlit and I'm not sure the school warranty covers spills. Is there any way I can fix this safely? Any help is massively appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

This seems to be a bit of a grey area to advise on if it's part of a school program. Anything I can suggest means opening up the laptop and getting a good clean of it done, but if that voids the warranty it's probably best to go to whoever is in charge of the program and explaining the situation..

Wish you the best with it

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Given that this is part of a school program I think Simon is spot on. Even if it were your personal computer liquid spills, particularly sticky liquids, tend to lead to problems later. It's difficult to remove the results of the spill without there being some damage to the logic board

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Last edited by Slydude; 06-12-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correct typo
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

1. Build a time machine
2. Go back in time to before you spilled your drink
3. Never have open containers near electronics!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You really ought to start backing up your data now as well in case that juice starts to wreak havoc on your machine. Not only did you spill juice (which is sugary) but it was a lemon based juice which I also imagine is more acidic than most. I'm willing to bet that more damage is coming. The answer here is simple - back everything up right now and bring it in to the school.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Klutz101

Klutz101 is on a distinguished road

I looked at a couple of YouTube videos on how to remove the keys without breaking the mechanism and did it very carefully before cleaning away the sticky residue. The keys work much better now and I haven't had any other problems.

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Hold your horses.

Sometimes problems do not appear for a week or longer. The sugar takes time to react with the logic board and cause corrosion. Fingers crossed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting your Mac to your TV | Logitech cordless optical trackman »