Specs:
    MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
    USB flash drives permanently plugged in?
    Perhaps a somewhat silly question, but nonetheless:

Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?

I have a couple of Luxio 128GB sticks*, I use for backup via rsync for sensitive files/docs, and one of these is permanently connected. I really wouldn't want to shorten its life ...

To be honest, I can't think of any reason, why it would be detrimental to a flash storage device, after all, everything inside my MBPro is basically the same (storage I mean - I know the difference between USB stick and laptop battery ... I think)

* I might well be nearing the time, when I have to replace these anyway, but then I remember, how much I paid for those, four years ago, and, when I stop crying, I think - maybe another six months ... lol
    Dvid

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post

Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?
    I don't think that there should be an issue.

The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.

If the hub is just "yanked-out" (with the USB drives plugged into it) when the MBP needs to be mobile…this could lead to computer/usb drive "confusion".

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.
    Thanks Nick,

I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives

Incidentally, I learned not to disconnect the power, once the MBP lead is closed and it's put to sleep - USB3 hub drops it's clients ... don't remember that happening with old USB2 hubs
    Last edited by MBP17•David; 06-06-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Dvid

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.
    Great, thanks. I shall continue the same practice then ... it's very convenient to just fire up rsync at will to backup that important last minute [whatever it is]
    Dvid

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
    I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives
    I usually only have one item plugged in at a time...that's why I usually drag to the trash. Just a habit I guess. Either way...both are Finder functions & achieve the same result.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information