New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

USB flash drives permanently plugged in?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Perhaps a somewhat silly question, but nonetheless:

Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?

I have a couple of Luxio 128GB sticks*, I use for backup via rsync for sensitive files/docs, and one of these is permanently connected. I really wouldn't want to shorten its life ...

To be honest, I can't think of any reason, why it would be detrimental to a flash storage device, after all, everything inside my MBPro is basically the same (storage I mean - I know the difference between USB stick and laptop battery ... I think)

* I might well be nearing the time, when I have to replace these anyway, but then I remember, how much I paid for those, four years ago, and, when I stop crying, I think - maybe another six months ... lol

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post

Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?
I don't think that there should be an issue.

The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.

If the hub is just "yanked-out" (with the USB drives plugged into it) when the MBP needs to be mobile…this could lead to computer/usb drive "confusion".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.
Thanks Nick,

I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives

Incidentally, I learned not to disconnect the power, once the MBP lead is closed and it's put to sleep - USB3 hub drops it's clients ... don't remember that happening with old USB2 hubs

Dvid

Last edited by MBP17•David; 06-06-2014 at 07:18 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.
Great, thanks. I shall continue the same practice then ... it's very convenient to just fire up rsync at will to backup that important last minute [whatever it is]

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives
I usually only have one item plugged in at a time...that's why I usually drag to the trash. Just a habit I guess. Either way...both are Finder functions & achieve the same result.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro display | Suggestions for AirPrint Printer/Scanner/Copier? »