Thread: External HD

External HD
    Got a Samsung M3 Portable HD for my iMac. Plugged in to the mac and it worked OK. Could see it on the desktop.
    Went away for a few days, Mac turned off, came back, turned mac on, now the drive is not shown on desktop or finder. Have looked at Samsung/seagate website for help but cannot find any. It is supposed to be mac comparable. Have tried it on my macbook air and it is not shown on there either. Any advice?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    It is not going to be shown on the Desktop or in Finder unless you've gone into Finder - Preferences and made sure that the 'External Disks' is checked on both the General and Sidebar tabs.

The place to look to see if your computer recognizes the drive is Disk Utility - not Finder.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    It is not going to be shown on the Desktop or in Finder unless you've gone into Finder - Preferences and made sure that the 'External Disks' is checked on both the General and Sidebar tabs.

The place to look to see if your computer recognizes the drive is Disk Utility - not Finder.
    Thanks for this but "External Disks' is checked as you advise. I doesn't show in Disk Utility either.
    It is strange that I did use it to download some photos on to it, then now it doesn't appear anywhere.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The USB interface electronics on the drive may have failed. This is a common fault with some external hard drives. If the drive is no longer under warranty, you can try removing it from its case and either use an adapter or an external carrier case to see if the drive is operative. If it's under warranty, contact the manufacturer and ask for a RMA.

Thread Information