New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

SSD'S DO's and Donts (help please)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrispayne123

chrispayne123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro mid 2012 2.5ghz i1 4gb ddr3 ram, 500gb hdd

HI, ive just installed a 128gb san disk ssd to my mac and asking if you can help me/ advise me on do and don'ts, thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Do use it, don't ever go back to the 5400rpm drives

I just installed a 128 Samsung 840 Pro into a Voyager Docking Station and use it as my Boot Drive for my iMac. Keep all your Apps on it, as they will open in a split second, and and don't save a lot to it, because it will fill up quick. I also put one in my Optical bay of my MBP and use the 750GB and the "Save to" drive. Now I have to machines that Flyyyyyyy !!!!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

Last edited by TattooedMac; 05-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

Have been using SSDs only, as internal storage, for the last five years, and can't imagine going back to HDD. As TattooedMac said, replacing optical drive with a second SSD is a great solution: my 4yr old MBPro•17" is much faster, than when it was new, and with [almost] 4 times the storage space!

Oh, and once you use up about 75% of the space, it's time to start thinking about larger SSD

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't defrag a SSD.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Don't defrag a SSD.
Guys - just another question since these SSDs are usually 'small' - on a standard mechanical HD, I like to leave at least 15%-20% 'free' space (although I've never filled one up to that point) - is this as critical w/ a solid-state drive? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Replies at Tom's Hardware vary greatly. Some say 25%, some 20%, some 15% and some 5GB minimum. Do know SSDs slow as they approach the full mark so I guess the old 15% rule would apply as you suggested Dave.

For what it his worth OWC recommend not cloning from a platter drive to an OWC SSD. Crucial offer cloning software for use with their drives exclusively, of course.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The actual testing I've read have reported that they are slower at 90% used space. Have not seen anyone that has tested them in 5% used space increments and in real world usage rather than just loading it with data and running a bench mark to know at what point they actually begin seeing a slow down and by how much. I would guess the real world slow down happens some time prior to that point - by how much???

I have not tested my SSDs like I have HDs and have not really been interested in spending the time/energy to do so. Only based on the reports I've read - for those that want to keep their SSD as speedy as the day they brought it home and have the extremely bad habit of filling a drive - I would recommend 15% + double the amount of RAM installed in the machine. Then, if your SSD begins filling to that point and you notice slow downs that cannot be taken care of by running Onyx, do your own testing by increasing the free space 5% at a time.

(For what it's worth related to a system drive HD - I'm on the extreme end of the recommendations for free space at a minimum of 35-40% and defrag when needed - data only drives I keep at 10-15%.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor Calibration Device | Set up external hard drive as scratch disc »