New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook DVD/CD Player not reading CD's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charliegriffin

charliegriffin is on a distinguished road

Suddenly, after having used CD player successfully many times, I have found that after not using it for a few months, it can't read CD's. Tried again after clean-installing Mountain Lion, now it doesn't even show the CD drive window in Finder.

However it read DVD's!

Is it possible it reads one and not the other?

I am hoping some setting has been corrupted, so I don't have to spend $200 to replace DVD/CD drive.

Any thoughts or advice, people?

Charlie
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, it is possible to read one and not the other.

Turn the computer off and unplug it.
Take a can of compressed air and shoot 3-4 quick bursts through the slot in different directions - wait 30 seconds and turn it back on.

(Moved thread to more appropriate forum)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
charliegriffin

Geez thanks bobtomay!

I will get a can and do just that, today…

So am I correct in assuming the chances are that because it can read DVD, it is likely the drive is OK but impeded somehow?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegriffin View Post
Geez thanks bobtomay!

I will get a can and do just that, today…

So am I correct in assuming the chances are that because it can read DVD, it is likely the drive is OK but impeded somehow?
Hi Charlie - no, not necessarily - first determine if the 'air blow-out' has any effect; simple and may help. Second, if the drive can still not read CDs, then a hardware problem might still exist - reading CDs & DVDs require different laser beams (i.e. wavelengths are important) - see the quote below from this DISCUSSION -

NOW, keep in mind that if you do not use this 'built-in' optical drive much, then an external one would be a LOT cheaper ($40 or so - I have an Apple Superdrive for my new model MBPro w/o one in the laptop) - just a suggestion. Good luck - Dave

Quote:
DVD discs use a tighter spiral (also known as a track or helix) with only 0.74 microns between the tracks, compared to 1.6 microns on CDs. DVD recorders use a laser with a smaller wavelength, 635nm or 650 nm (visible red light) vs. 780nm (infrared) for CDs, to produce a smaller "burn" or pit in the translucent dye layer (0.4 microns minimum vs. 0.83 microns minimum on CDs). Improvements in the logarithms used for error correction allow a much greater data accuracy using smaller Error Correction Codes (ECC) than those used in CD technology, resulting in more effective use of the track space. These technologies allow DVD discs to store large amounts of data-up to seven times that of a CD.
QUOTE Thanks
charliegriffin

Hey Dave, that's REALLY valuable advice. With labour I'm looking at $200 to replace the drive!

Thanks a lot.

Charlie
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The superdrive in my '06 model quits reading discs about once a year - thus far, the can of air trick has worked for me. However, slot load drives are just more prone to failure than tray load drives - I'll keep my fingers crossed the air works for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
charliegriffin

A tad broke…will buy the compressed air next week and give it a go…thanks for the interest...
QUOTE Thanks
charliegriffin

Hey Bob blowing out the CD rom drive with compressed air did the trick!

Thanks a lot…you saved me a lot of trouble and money.

Charlie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« minidisplay port to hdmi | Any recommendations for a NAS Device? »