New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Coaxial digital audio from USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thebigshot

thebigshot is on a distinguished road

I have a iMac with OS 10.9.2 and I'm looking for an audio interface which will plug into the USB 3 socket to give me a coaxial audio output. I've tried a M2Tech Hiface 2 and it does not work, the Peachtree X1 might work! Anyone got any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since you already have an optical digital output, instead of USB, get an optical toslink to coax converter - one example.

Did you install the driver for the HiFace and restart and head into sound preferences and select that device? (Which haven't been updated since 10.7 - have no clue if they'll work with later versions of OS X.)
And it will only output stereo.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
thebigshot

Thanks for the reply,
I'm using the optical link but I prefer coaxial as one can get better sound quality plus I already have a coaxial cable installed to my DAC. Currently I'm plugging / unplugging the Toslink adapter at the back of the iMac to switch the iMac's speakers off & on and this is awkward.
There are no drivers for the Hiface, it is seen by the iMac but you can't select anything. If you use a windows machine then you need the drivers - and they work. One reason I should have stuck with windows!
QUOTE Thanks
thebigshot

The driver on their website is for the original Hiface not the current version, I tried downloading it and it made no difference.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, sorry - caught that about 30 seconds after I posted - and why that post is not there any longer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Synology NAS box disk problem | Monitor Mirroring »