New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dell E6400 not connecting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Connect my 21.5" iMac to the 'net wirelessly using TP-Link TD-W8980 no problem at all.

Late wife's Dell E6400, unused for two months, will not connect and shows yellow triangle and black exclamation mark.

Any suggestions?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Last edited by harryb2448; 03-30-2014 at 06:34 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Usually Windows is better at finding a connection and locking on than a Mac. At least in my experience with both platforms. Maybe the Dell can't do WPA2? It's been a while, but did you select the connection wizard and let it try to find your router SSID?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Charlie.

Up until late January it connected quicker than the iMac and now has just quit. Will not connect via ethernet cable either. Network trouble shooting shows connected to the modem/router but no internet access whilst the iMac is downloading hand over fist. Strange. I shall reset the modem/router and do a new setup.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What OS is on that Dell? Vista Business is what is mentioned in the specs I saw. Could be a Winsock issue.

How much do you know about Windows? Does it get a valid IP from the router? You can open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG and see what the IP address is. If that is a router assigned address and you have no internet at all, I suspect Winsock issues.

I can help farther if needed. Check the IP.

I am using my windows box on Wifi so ignore the other items.
Attached Images
File Type: png ipconfig.png (69.5 KB, 28 views)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Try using command prompt in accessories type in ipconfig/release enter then type in ipconfig/renew enter.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Try using command prompt in accessories type in ipconfig/release enter then type in ipconfig/renew enter.
While he is there that is an excellent idea. Can't hurt.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just a thought look and see if Airplane Mode is enabled and if its greyed out meaning you can not disable then I fear you have a nasty on your system.
My neighbor had this problem a couple of weeks ago and I downloaded Malwarebytes on to a flash drive and named it pictures of cats or name it anything but Malwarebytes and it found 9 things no false positives after trashing these internet connection both wired and wireless was restored.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Thanks osxx. Did you download Malware Bytes on your Mac and copy to the thumb drive formatted DOS? Is a real problem as iMac goes online no problem and the Dell juste sits there telling me I am connected to the modem/router but no internet access.

To be different I shall name it dog photos eh?

And how does one get into Accessories command prompt and that 'renew enter' is with the space?

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

I downloaded it on his PC desktop > Thumbdrive since my first clue was it would not let me download it on the laptop both running Win7 Pro.
Start > search box type in command which will bring up command prompt first result usually then type in the box ipconfig/release then hit enter wait 15 seconds type in ipconfig/renew hit enter if there is no malware it should get you connected.
The title of cat pictures was no joke the malware was smart enough to know we were going to use an extraction tool so simply renaming it second time allowed access.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

That software did not show any problems with Network Settings. After running Trouble Shooting a score of times it came up with a "DHCP not enabled - click to repair" and away we went downloading 91% of Software Update from Microsoft when it again lost connection. Went into the ipconfig/renew and off again, finished uploading and after reboot no connection so I guess it is the TP-Link modem.

Oddly the iMac has no couch problem connecting and maintaining the network. Thanks all for suggestions.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Harry just a thought have you tried manually updating the wireless card in the PC?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

A little more light.

Investigating this, it does appear AV software can cause DHCP disabling problems. Mention in particular are Nortons, McAfee, BitDefender etc. Looks like uninstalling and back to good old Microsoft Security Essentials. The University of Oregon has items on this topic. Here is what ZDNet has to say about MSE despite the veeps spilling the beans about not installing:-

Which antivirus is best at removing malware? | ZDNet

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

To bring this matter to a conclusion, first up deleted BitDefender, rebooted and no difference. Then McAfee Free Scan, rebooted, went the ipconfigure/reset route via Command Prompt and connected just fine and all is well, so back to Microsoft Security Essentials.

One thing connecting the iMac for the first time after this, get the no IP address, into DNS settings which were blank, hit the (+) button, back they came and connection no problem.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Harry if you want a free Anti Virus that works better than MSE, give the free AntiVir a try. I switched to it after hearing MSE was not really that supported anymore and it found many issues that MSE never found and it does not seem to drag down the system at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Shot will not connect. | WiFi Boosting »