New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

WiFi Boosting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beachnutphil

beachnutphil is on a distinguished road

Although I have not tried this, I spoke to a technician about this very subject 2 years ago. His response was that you would have to purchase a device called a 'repeater'. It was explained to me that 'repeaters' are what are used in trailer parks to give all tenants access to tle internet. If I recall correctly, it would extend the signal for about 100'. In your case having a building between your house and your barn, it would be a natural to place a 'repeater' on the building between your house and barn.

Check it out and good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMermaid

MacMermaid is on a distinguished road

I have been looking on newegg for the equipment suggested. I recognize what my neighbor has. There is another similar type. It looks as though each one is specifically made to be used with other certain equipment, hope I expressed that correctly, such as one says it's for use with Sierra Wireless. So these are not interchangeable with other brands?

So, basically if I connect one of these antennas to the modem? or router? in my house, hang it outside the window facing the barn and hang one outside the barn, facing each other the signal will bounce to the barn? Will the one at the barn have to be plugged into my MBP or can it be set up wirelessly?
QUOTE Thanks
MacMermaid

Is this what I am looking for?

Newegg.com - AeriaLight™ 12dB Wide Band Antenna for Amplifiers, Boosters, Repeaters, Modems, Hotspots
QUOTE Thanks
beachnutphil

beachnutphil is on a distinguished road

I was not aware that the 'Repeater had to be the same brand as the router.(I really do not think that that is the case.) You should investigate the name of your router to see if they make a 'Repeater'. If you have a good router, it should be able to transmit for 150' if there are no barriers such as block walls restricting the signal. Your 'Repeater' should be able to send the signal to your receiver (Blue Ray, Apple TV or whatever you have at the barn picking up the signal).

Check this out at Amazon:
'http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-AC1200-Power-700mW-Extender/dp/B00HQ883QW/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06Y0261W5RS0R9VXWER3 '

Go all the way down to the customer reviews. One person says that this 'Repeater' ' Extender' sends its' signal out 500 feet. I believe they are all universal!

Good luck.

beachnutphil
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMermaid View Post
Hello again - you still have not given us information on the type of router that you currently own and what Wi-Fi protocol is being used? If you do not have at least an 802.11n router, then your first step might be to purchase one, place the device in your second story w/ a direct line of sight to your barn, and then test the signal getting there - this might be enough - I'm not sure?

Now if not, then consideration of repeaters, extenders, antennas, and the like would be the next addition - just as an example, an inexpensive 'outside' repeater/extender could be place on top of your neighbor's building (if permitted of course; and would need power) and boost the signal to your barn - you would also have to setup strong security (e.g. WPA2) - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
MacMermaid

Sorry Dave, will get to that information tomorrow. Guess I'm a little intimidated by all those... yikes! ...numbers!

There is Apple TV also in the house if that could play any role??
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMermaid View Post
Sorry Dave, will get to that information tomorrow. Guess I'm a little intimidated by all those... yikes! ...numbers!

There is Apple TV also in the house if that could play any role??
No problem @ all - just try to answer the questions asked as specifically as possible - numbers are unfortunately important -

As to the Apple TV, that is simply running off your Wi-Fi router - a new router should work fine w/ that device, but it has nothing at all to do w/ getting a wireless signal to your barn. Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dell E6400 not connecting | Converting a Kodak CD »