New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

ITunes (Music)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Roger442

Roger442 is on a distinguished road

Recently I changed my Hard Drive and then had to reload all my Music back into ITunes and now I have discovered that almost all of my songs have had the last few seconds lopped off. Is this normal, I am bummed as this music cannot be replaced.

I am going to change the Hard Drive again, is there a way to prevent this happening again?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger442 View Post
Recently I changed my Hard Drive and then had to reload all my Music back into ITunes and now I have discovered that almost all of my songs have had the last few seconds lopped off. Is this normal, I am bummed as this music cannot be replaced.

I am going to change the Hard Drive again, is there a way to prevent this happening again?
That's quite bizarre. Simply copying files from one drive to another shouldn't cause anything like that. You may have corrupt files for whatever reason. Why are you "changing" your hard drive? Did it crash or develop issues? And is this your main hard drive, or some other drive? How is that drive formatted (HFS+ vs FAT32, etc)?

Try playing your music with a music player other than iTunes or Quicktime to verify that the problem is the files themselves, and not isolated to iTunes. Use any 3rd party player that will do music (VLC, MPlayer X, for example).
QUOTE Thanks
Roger442

Lifesabeach,

Thanks for your reply. I've been going over my music today and realize that not so many of my songs have been clipped as I first thought, in fact just a few have actually. Playing them yesterday all I heard in the background was the clipped endings.

Switched to Mac after about 15 years or so on a PC to avoid the dreaded 'Crash' but found out that Mac's DO crash. About a year ago my HD Crashed and my PC guru replaced it with a T drive rather than another 1/2 T drive. He used my old HD as a back-up and had plenty of problems after that so had Geek Squad reformat the drive and reinstall my OS and I backed up with my Time Machine files from another HD (Ext).

Still having problems; (Black screen dropping down), (endless pinwheels) have reinstalled my OS again with no change. Now ready to install NEW 500G Drive and reinstall my OS and then update to Maverick.

I see where Mac has recalled some late '09 where HD's have failed but mine is just before the date I guess. Don't know what format is on the drive. Thanks again!

Roger
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Hard drives in Macs most certainly do crash. They are, quite literally, the same drives used in PCs. Absolutely nothing special about them, short of custom firmware in at least iMacs today.

As far as your problems go, I suggest not bothering with Geek Squad in the future. In fact, consider starting a new thread here now. I have a hunch that your problems have nothing to do with your drives. At the least, I can assure you we are more likely to get to the bottom of this than Geek Squad is.
QUOTE Thanks
Roger442

Lifesabeach,

Thanks for the advice, will stay away from G S altogether!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WD My Pasport for Mac | Harddrive scrubbing software for OS X & windows »