Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Magic Trackpad. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/309869-magic-trackpad.html)

dotdotdot 03-26-2014 06:34 PM

Magic Trackpad.

I have the Magic Mouse and am very happy with it. I want a Magic Trackpad because the mouse has a hard time reading certain surfaces which I use.
Here's the scenario, which may sound ridiculous. I want to know if It'll be usable resting on my thigh (how my workspace is configured dictates this). That is, will I be able to use the 'click' feature? I heard that it needs a solid surface to 'click', which a thigh isn't. I can't use a hard surface (table) because the angle of it cuts into my wrist and the only comfortable position my thigh.

Raz0rEdge 03-26-2014 06:40 PM

The Magic Trackpad is quite large and while you can hold it on your thigh, you'd have to use at least one (likely two) fingers to actually hold it on your thigh and then another finger to move the cursor around. However, scrolling requires 2 fingers and other gestures require more than that..

While the clicking can be done, you're going to have a hard time just holding it in place..

I would definitely not recommend the trackpad for your use.

If the Magic Mouse is having issues with the surfaces, you can always just grab a mouse pad and get around this issue..

pigoo3 03-26-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotdotdot (Post 1574489)
Here's the scenario, which may sound ridiculous. I want to know if It'll be usable resting on my thigh (how my workspace is configured dictates this). That is, will I be able to use the 'click' feature? I heard that it needs a solid surface to 'click', which a thigh isn't. I can't use a hard surface (table) because the angle of it cuts into my wrist and the only comfortable position my thigh.

There are two ways to "click" with a Magic Trackpad (just like with a laptop trackpad):

- tap to click
- physical click

You certainly could do the "tap to click" with the Magic Trackpad on your thigh...but what you mentioned about the Magic Trackpad needing a hard-flat surface for doing physical clicks is true. There are two little "nub-like" feet on the bottom front edge (nearest to the user) that need a hard flat surface to actuate properly. A soft-rounded surface like a human thigh will not work well for this.

- Nick

harryb2448 03-27-2014 12:33 AM

Best option for using the trackpad is to get a Henge or similar docking station so they clip together as one simple keyboard.

http://hengedocks.com/order_clique.php

Postoak 03-27-2014 12:56 AM

I'm on my 3rd day adjusting to my new Trackpad. 1st day was like you, using it on my leg...not good. Now I have it on my desk at home and am still having some getting use to the touch sensitivity and I'm sure I will get as used to it as the Magic Mouse as time goes by. Loved the Magic Mouse until it ran off the mouse pad edge. I would not buy the Trackpad if it had to be used on my leg. Good luck.

pigoo3 03-27-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1574541)
Best option for using the trackpad is to get a Henge or similar docking station so they clip together as one simple keyboard.

Darn it Harry. If I end up buying one of these...it's your fault!;) Then I'll have to start all over saving for the "Crystal Ball" you want me to buy!;);)

- Nick

TattooedMac 03-27-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1574541)

Henge Docks | Order Clique

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1574544)
Darn it Harry. If I end up buying one of these...it's your fault!;) Then I'll have to start all over saving for the "Crystal Ball" you want me to buy!;);)

- Nick

Or there is the Magic Wand
but for the $, Henge looks good.

Darn it Harry. If I end up buying one of these...it's your fault!;) :P

pigoo3 03-27-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMac (Post 1574548)
Or there is the Magic Wand
but for the $, Henge looks good.

You may not remember (it was a while ago...probably 2+ years)...I reviewed the "Magic Wand" when it first came out. The guys at the Apple Store thought I was joking when I said I couldn't find the "Magic Wands")!;) They probably thought..."This old dude has really lost it!";);)

Anyway...it did the job of mating up the keyboard & Magic Trackpad...but I didn't feel it was worth anywhere near the $29 price tag (more like $10-$12).

Like you said...for $24.95...this Henge product (Clique) is a much better deal. But the 12 South product (Magic Wand) would probably be less weight.

- Nick

TattooedMac 03-27-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1574553)
You may not remember (it was a while ago...probably 2+ years)...I reviewed the "Magic Wand" when it first came out. The guys at the Apple Store thought I was joking when I said I couldn't find the "Magic Wands")!;) They probably thought..."This old dude has really lost it!";);)

Anyway...it did the job of mating up the keyboard & Magic Trackpad...but I didn't feel it was worth anywhere near the $29 price tag (more like $10-$12).

Like you said...for $24.95...this Henge product (Clique) is a much better deal. But the 12 South product (Magic Wand) would probably be less weight.

- Nick

Actually I do remember someone did a review on it, because it was a fantastic thing when they produced it, and remember the Plasticie feel you said it had. Ive been busy today, but I'm going because to look at the Henge now, because now I do have that iMac with the wireless Keyboard and Trackpad, but tell me, where will the Magic Mouse go ??

Slydude 03-27-2014 12:15 PM

I'm in the same boat TM. How my supposed upgrade my Magic Eight Ball if he keeps recommending things like this for me to buy.

This looks far more interesting to me that the Magic Wand did. I can use this when working in the living room with the keyboard on my lap. I like the fact that there are right and left-handed versions but I wonder how well it will fit with either of the third-party keyboards I am using.

pigoo3 03-27-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMac (Post 1574574)
Actually I do remember someone did a review on it, because it was a fantastic thing when they produced it, and remember the Plasticie feel you said it had. Ive been busy today, but I'm going because to look at the Henge now, because now I do have that iMac with the wireless Keyboard and Trackpad, but tell me, where will the Magic Mouse go ??

Glad to hear that you remember that write-up (regardless of who wrote it).:)

You're definitely right...at the time...the "Magic Wand" was the slickest thing yet (it didn't really have much good affordable competition at the time). There were some more expensive & bulkier products.

Now that this Hengedock/Clique product is around...IMHO...it's better. I checked on the Magic Wands price...and it's still $29. I'm thinking they may have a hard time continuing to justify that price against the $25 Clique product.

- Nick

pigoo3 03-27-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slydude (Post 1574611)
I can use this when working in the living room with the keyboard on my lap.

This is the exact same reason how I would use it.:) Either with a laptop or iMac on a coffee table...while watching TV...wireless keyboard & Magic Trackpad on my lap.

Quote:

I like the fact that there are right and left-handed versions...

This is a very thoughtful option for folks that prefer the trackpad on the left.:)

Quote:

...but I wonder how well it will fit with either of the third-party keyboards I am using.

Are you saying that your wondering if a 3rd party keyboard will fit into the Hengedock/Clique product? Do the 3rd party keyboards have the same foot print as the Apple keyboard?

- Nick

Slydude 03-27-2014 05:43 PM

That's exactly what I'm wondering Nick. I'll have measured to be sure but I don't think they have the same foot print. The Logitech K760 is probably larger and the other one is close to the same size but is probably smaller.

TattooedMac 03-27-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1574657)
Now that this Hengedock/Clique product is around...IMHO...it's better. I checked on the Magic Wands price...and it's still $29. I'm thinking they may have a hard time continuing to justify that price against the $25 Clique product.

- Nick

Yes a lot better made, and I'm ashamed to say, I ordered on, as will as the Gravitas. I hang my head in shame from falling for . . . Such a GREAT product !!! lol

pigoo3 03-27-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slydude (Post 1574671)
That's exactly what I'm wondering Nick. I'll have measured to be sure but I don't think they have the same foot print.

I think that the Hengedock/Clique device is molded to exactly fit the Apple keyboards (and Magic Trackpad). I think that it's mostly a friction-fit...so just snug enough to retain the devices (keyboard & trackpad)...or maybe there's some sort of small little tabs that retain the devices.

I remember reading some reviews for it last night...where some folks (few) complained that the "fit" was too tight...and doing the physical click with the Magic Trackpad didn't always work very smoothly. But of course "tap to click" would work fine.:)

- Nick