Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   airport prob (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/309767-airport-prob.html)

jdrp 03-24-2014 11:26 AM

airport prob

hi
i have airport card which specifies a/b/g. i wish to connect to local wifi hotspot which is 'n'. i have found a firmware update on apple site, but it is 'self-launching'. obviously i would have to download it on another machine. is this possible?
thanks

Raz0rEdge 03-24-2014 04:59 PM

If your Airport card only supports A/B/G, no firmware update is going to make it connect to a N network. However, the N router can fall-back to A/B/G to allow your Mac to connect to it..

harryb2448 03-24-2014 05:13 PM

And then it will run at the slower speed so just leave things be.

jdrp 03-25-2014 07:04 AM

does that mean i have to buy a new card to connect to the 'n' network. it's a public network so i don't have any control over what protocol it uses. thanks for your reply

Raz0rEdge 03-25-2014 07:55 AM

No, as I said, the N router will allow devices at the lower A/B/G speeds to connect to it at their supported speed, you shouldn't have to do anything special.

I wouldn't purchase an upgrade to connect to a public network, if you were worried about your home network speeds that's another thing..

From what I've been told, having mixed devices on a N network will reduce the overall network speed, so it's wise to try to upgrade all the devices to N as well..

RadDave 03-25-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrp (Post 1574186)
does that mean i have to buy a new card to connect to the 'n' network. it's a public network so i don't have any control over what protocol it uses. thanks for your reply

Well, you did not specify which Mac you owned - I'm assuming a laptop since you're talking about taking the machine to a commercial 'hotspot' - please provide the specs. Your machine is likely not upgradeable to 802.11 n hardware; thus the reason to know your laptop's specs.

Now, public hotspots should typically provide a number of wireless networks, such as 802.11 b/g/n (or even 'ac' now) and even dual bands (i.e. 2.4 & 5 GHz) to accommodate customers w/ different aged computers. And as already stated, even if a router is transmitting at only a single protocol, such as 'n', it usually will see the older Wi-Fi protocols and operated at their slower speeds.

BTW - have you even tried to connect @ the hotspot? If unsuccessful, did you talk w/ one of the owners or employee who helps w/ the network? Dave :)

jdrp 03-25-2014 09:08 AM

thanks for reply...it is mac pro 3,1 2.8G 8 core. yes, i have tried to connect to the network; machine doesnt see any networks. i know the network is fine because i can connect to it with my old G4 via a sitecom wireless adapter. i have not managed to make the mac pro recognise the sitecom device either. i wonder whether the adapter still thinks it is using 10.4 as it seems to remember things that i haven't asked it to, like the details of the mac pro's previous owner's home network. frustrating!!

osxx 03-25-2014 09:21 AM

I got to ask why you would not be using a wired connection on a Mac Pro?

jdrp 03-26-2014 08:31 AM

i will try this : there was a problem with the link i posted to 'os x daily persistent problems with wifi'