New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

SD card slot shows disk, but not contents

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

I recently bought a SD card drive that holds a mcro sd card. I moved a bunch of files on to it, but sometimes, it can't be found by the computer. I open it up and there is nothing in it. After I restart the computer and remove and replace the card, it works. Any ideas why this is happening?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hello - just a few questions that might help others respond: 1) Brand/model of the SD/Micro SD card; 2) How was the micro SD card formatted (e.g. by a camera, your laptop, etc.); 3) Do other standard SD cards work in the slot; and 4) Have you tried the micro SD card on another computer?

Finally if these files are important, make sure you back them up elsewhere - you may have to re-format the card? Good luck - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello - just a few questions that might help others respond: 1) Brand/model of the SD/Micro SD card; 2) How was the micro SD card formatted (e.g. by a camera, your laptop, etc.); 3) Do other standard SD cards work in the slot; and 4) Have you tried the micro SD card on another computer?

Finally if these files are important, make sure you back them up elsewhere - you may have to re-format the card? Good luck - Dave
The reader is this Simple, Seamless Storage For Your MacBook | The Nifty MiniDrive and I have a sandisk micro sd in it. When I put it in the computer the first time, it formatted it for me. I haven't tried any other cards and no I haven't tried it on another computer. I do have it backed up to a hard drive at home, though. I wonder if its the reader that I got because its a new product and may not be perfected yet? I just removed and replaced it and now it's working - I didn't have to restart the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I think he's trying to determine what kind of mini sd card it is. Some of the newer, high density cards may not work in the drive/reader.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have had great luck with SanDisk adapter and readers for Micro SD's but all bets are off on high capacities on MacBook Pros older the 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Same here with a SanDisk Micro SD adapter, however, I have not tried it with a fast high capacity Micro SD. I believe my 2013 iMac would read it OK since it does read a normal size fast high capacity SD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« error message from iCal re iCloud | delete 2nd pg of postcard template »