New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

recovering data from Timecapsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thomas Benstem

Thomas Benstem is on a distinguished road

Hi!
Im trying to access files from my time capsule after my macbook has been stolen.
Idont want to recover all of it cause i wanted to get a "fresh start" with this new macbook.
is there any way to access files and programs from a timecapsule-backup file without making the new macbook a copy of the old one?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The files that you want to access are stored inside a large single file on the Time Capsule. It is called a sparse bundle file and probably has the name of your old computer. You could double click that file and open the induing series of folders but it's probably easier to use these directions. Read the section on restoring files and folders. The rest covers restoration of the entire drive but that's not necessary for what you want to do.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Thomas Benstem

Thomas Benstem is on a distinguished road

Thank you Slydude!
The problem is that my backups from the old macbook don't show up when i connect the time capsule to the new one since i didn't make the new one to a copy of the old.
When i open the file on the time capsule manually it says that I'm not authorized to open it.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Can you right click on the file and select "Get Info". Then at the bottom of the window, click the lock icon and add your user and make sure you have read & write privileges. You will also want to click the gear icon with down arrow and "Apply to Enclosed Items".

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

This is the correct way to restore files from a time machine backup.
1) Don't use the finder to fiddle around in TM backups as you will destroy the TM database.
2) Ensure your TM.app icon is on the dock
3) Right click on the TM icon on the dock and select " Browse Other Time Machine Disks "
4) Select the disk that contains the TM backup you want
5) Use the TM.app to restore files
6) Do 3 & 4 again to select the correct TM disk.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 27 desktop mount WITHOUT VESA adaptor | WD MyBook - supplied with Torrents? »