New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

WD MyBook - supplied with Torrents?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

Folks,

just bought a Caldigit dock, and a WD MyBook 4TB external disk to go with it.

I found that the WD MyBook contained a folder with two films in it, obviously Torrent download. I personally am not familiar with downloading films (movies), but it seems to me that they should not be on a fresh disk from the store. I suspect that this disc was not new... However, I could be wrong.

It says, eg, ' Torrent downloaded from ' h_ttp://w_ww.Demonoid.com*'. Weird that WD should supply such stuff as an extra..

Anyone else here have this kind of disk and found similar stuff on it?

Thymen

* added underscores to remove the hyperlink
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Take it back and complain big time. Sounds as if staff has been torrenting movies with stock hard drives.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

What harry said I have bought many of the WD's and outside of their Smartware they should be blank.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

My guess is this hard external hard drive was purchased by someone, they used it for a while, returned it to the store, and the store put it back on the shelf for sale without checking it out first.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

So no bonus material it is..

I performed the complete drive test from the WD Utilities, and it passed that test. There are no scratches etc. on the drive (the plastic cover protection was/is still on it), so I assume that it is ok. I already had it registered, it contains a lot of data, and it will cost me a lot of time to re-do everything.

However, I am going back to the store, and make a remark about it. I still want another of these drives, and I am going to suggest that they supply me a brand-new one at a refurbished price to compensate for the refurbished (?) one I paid the full price for...

I guess it was not intentional, so no grudge... but it should not have happened.

Thanks for the response,

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Went back to the store, and returned with a brand new disk in a sealed package. Two actually, I bought another one for Time Machine.

I am going to return the 'bad' disk soon, after having retrieved all data from it, and erased it's contents, for a full refund. And in the meantime the disk got cheaper, so I saved 15 Euros as well.

Store admitted the mistake, offered solution and will report it to QC, so that's that as far as I am concerned.

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well a six pack of your fine Dutch Christoffel “Nobel” beer will hit the spot with the euros saved!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recovering data from Timecapsule | Need advice on a 24" wall mount »