New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How to get admin password off of used iMac G3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

igotpotatoes

igotpotatoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Way too many Apple symbols

Let me start off by saying I am very new at this. I purchased a surplus lot of 20 iMac g3's from a school district and they all have admin passwords so settings such as monitor adjustments can not be made. I can use the computers just fine through student account but there is an account for teachers and admins with passwords. What's the route of bypassing this and then removing or disabling the password for future use? Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You would need an install - recovery disk for the operating system that's being run on the G3 machines. Those are very old machines so it may be difficult to locate an install disk. Are all the machines running the exact same operating system and are all the G3s alike?
QUOTE Thanks
igotpotatoes

I was hoping to avoid losing the programs, a number of the computers are going to go to families with children and the education learning material on them is wonderful. The five I have tested so far are running Mac OS 9.2.

I don't know on the release dates of the models. I've got every color except for the the snow, flower power, and the Dalmatian.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to have to try and locate an OS 9.2 disk in order to reset the password on those machines. If all the machines are running the same OS 9.2, it may be possible to do the reset on all of them with one disk. It would have to be a retail version of 9.2 not specific for the machine. The best place to locate disks that old would be eBay. Resetting the password on them will not wipe the programs.

Also, read the following discussion topic that was posted on the Apple Community Support Forums which talks about resetting the password on a G3 running OS 9.2: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
igotpotatoes

Thank you for the forum reference, i'll be going through that next and I will be on the look for a disk now. I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
igotpotatoes

That post makes it seem fairly straight forward. If you just found that in the midst of the all the archives then congrats to you for being an extraordinary moderator!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Good luck. Hopefully you'll get all those G3s working for the kids.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is internet download much slower than new macbook air than my old macbook | Router Suggestions »