New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iMac 27 desktop mount WITHOUT VESA adaptor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ruppelju

ruppelju is on a distinguished road

Hi there. I have been trying to mount an iMac 27 (mid 2010) to a desk. We tried to use the VESA mount adaptor with the Bretford desk mount . .. but have been having all sort of problems with the VESA mount adaptor (namely, it wouldn't fit properly).

A search of the internet reveals that many people have problems actually getting the VESA mount adaptor to work (many horror stories of stripped screws, and misalignment). My question is:

Does anyone now of a deskmount for an iMac 27 that doesn't require the VESA mount adaptor?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I assume the problem you are having is with Apple's VESA Mount Adapter? I just did some brief reading up on them, and it appears to me that much of the problem with stripped screws and misalignment is due to people not using the right tools. According to a review on Apple's site, the kit comes with a small Torx wrench that simply isn't up to the task. I suggest reading over the most helpful reviews on Apple's site. There's one person who said he had to install 13 of these and came up with a way to make it install smoothly. A few others recommend using a proper Torx screwdriver.
http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD...&rs=mostUseful

As for an actual alternative to Apple's adapter, here's a couple (they actually look to be the same one):
UpLift iMac VESA Adapter Plate | Shop Mac-Compatible VESA Adapters
iMac Compatible VESA Adapter Plate - Monoprice.com

I'd read over the reviews for this first. If it was me, I wouldn't buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
ruppelju

ruppelju is on a distinguished road

Hi again.
Thanks for your response. I have indeed already tried the Apple VESA mount adaptor. We had these same fitting problems as the reported in the Apple product review site . . .we ended up putting the iMac 27 back on the stand it came with. As a result of numerous attempt of taking the monitor on and off the stand, the 8 screws that attach the iMac to the stand are dangerously close to stripping (haven't stripped yet, but I'm hesitant to try to move them again).
So this presents another problem I've had. I don't want to tinker around with the VESA mounts until I find replacement screws. But I can't find these replacement screws anywhere . .. I have tried the Apple store, online mac repair shops, and a dozen local computer stores. No one carries them.

So given my current situation, I either need:

1. To find replacement screws for the 8 torq screws that attach the iMac to the stand.

OR

2. To find a way to mount the imac to a desk without having to access these screws.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
1. To find replacement screws for the 8 torq screws that attach the iMac to the stand.
Have you looked on eBay? I'm not saying you can definitely find them there, but chances are someone may be selling a set. Either that, or go to an Apple Store and see if they'll generously give you a set.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm inclined to say find anything that fits. I can't imagine they must be Torx. As long as you haven't stripped the threads in the iMac itself, then find something that is identical in length, diameter, and threading to those screws. Any hardware store should have something that will work. I'd avoid regular phillips head screws, but Allen screws should work fine.

I did find product listings on MacPartsOnline for a variety of replacement screws for the mid-2010 iMac. I don't know which ones are used specifically for that mount, but they might.
iMac Aluminum 27-inch Parts Screws iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

BTW, I found a video tutorial on YouTube for installing this for a mid-2010 iMac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D5_uMBMaCY
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine | recovering data from Timecapsule »