lacie external hard drive install
    Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macie22 View Post
    Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple?
    Formatting the HD is VERY simple. Will probably only take 5-10 seconds at the most. AND…since Macintosh computers can sometimes need a new hard drive formatted properly (different from Windows computers)…it's really not such a bad idea to do it.

What's a whole 5-10 seconds in the grand scheme of things??

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.6
    Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.
    Well, I'd have to agree w/ Nick - what's your concern? If the HD is new, then you have no data to lose when formatted - the point is how do you want to use this drive, i.e. just on a Mac computer and/or on a PC? And how was the HD formatted when purchased - I would guess FAT32? If you want to only use this new drive on a Mac computer and if formatted w/ FAT32, then a reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would be the usual choice (info HERE) - but, let us know your goals for this new HD - Dave

Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for? Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again

Specs:
    Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for?
    Only one hard drive can be formatted at one time (not your computers internal drive & the new external drive simultaneously). So as long as only the new external drive is selected…ONLY the external drive will be formatted.

Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again
    As long as we are talking other Macintosh computers…no problem.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Simple does not imply there is "no" skill / understanding required.

Yes, with some minimal understanding, the impression that it will erase your Mac is uncalled for.

Formatting is going to erase the "single" drive that you have selected to format.
    It is not going to erase any other drive connected to the machine.
    Every drive has to be formatted in order to be used.

If you select the wrong drive - for example the external drive you already have full in this case - then it would erase all the data on "that" drive. The warning is there as a 2nd chance - so that you have the time to look and make sure you have selected the correct drive you wish to format.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Nice catch guys. Didn't catch that the OP had misunderstood that dialog till I read your responses.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.
    I was going to mention that as well (but forgot to in my earlier post). Thanks for mentioning it.

- Nick

Thread Information