New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

lacie external hard drive install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macie22

macie22 is on a distinguished road

Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macie22 View Post
Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple?
Formatting the HD is VERY simple. Will probably only take 5-10 seconds at the most. AND…since Macintosh computers can sometimes need a new hard drive formatted properly (different from Windows computers)…it's really not such a bad idea to do it.

What's a whole 5-10 seconds in the grand scheme of things??

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.
Well, I'd have to agree w/ Nick - what's your concern? If the HD is new, then you have no data to lose when formatted - the point is how do you want to use this drive, i.e. just on a Mac computer and/or on a PC? And how was the HD formatted when purchased - I would guess FAT32? If you want to only use this new drive on a Mac computer and if formatted w/ FAT32, then a reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would be the usual choice (info HERE) - but, let us know your goals for this new HD - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
macie22

macie22 is on a distinguished road

Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for? Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for?
Only one hard drive can be formatted at one time (not your computers internal drive & the new external drive simultaneously). So as long as only the new external drive is selected…ONLY the external drive will be formatted.

Quote:
Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again
As long as we are talking other Macintosh computers…no problem.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Simple does not imply there is "no" skill / understanding required.

Yes, with some minimal understanding, the impression that it will erase your Mac is uncalled for.

Formatting is going to erase the "single" drive that you have selected to format.
It is not going to erase any other drive connected to the machine.
Every drive has to be formatted in order to be used.

If you select the wrong drive - for example the external drive you already have full in this case - then it would erase all the data on "that" drive. The warning is there as a 2nd chance - so that you have the time to look and make sure you have selected the correct drive you wish to format.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Nice catch guys. Didn't catch that the OP had misunderstood that dialog till I read your responses.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.
I was going to mention that as well (but forgot to in my earlier post). Thanks for mentioning it.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbolt screen won't activate | How to delete files that are invisible from Finder »