New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Where does boot camp put the partition space?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ReaperP13

ReaperP13 is on a distinguished road

I tried doing bootcamp, partitioned 100GB, but was taking over an hour, everyone says a few minutes, so i quit, and now that 100GB is somewhere, but not partioned because disk utility just shows the 1, I want to know how to get it back, when I look at storage in about this mac, it says i have 27 out of 500, which is fine because that should be it, but that 100 is somewhere, please help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If the amount of space being reported by Disk Utility is correct, then the 100 GB partition was not created. Your hard drive likely has disk errors which is why it was taking so long to create it. You need to verify and repair your hard drive before doing any more partition work.
QUOTE Thanks
ReaperP13

ReaperP13 is on a distinguished road

I have tried repairing and verifying, the problem is before it happened i had like 128 or so free, chose to give windows 100, theres no partition, but i no longer have 128 free, now its about 27, so that 100 went somewhere, i just cant figure out what happened
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

What does the partition tab show when you use Disk Utility? If possible, include a screen shot so we can see what's going on. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running but if you're using Lion, ML, or Mavericks, you'll need to boot to recovery first and run Disk Utility from there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Also, after you get this issue sorted and all the space returned to the OS X partition...

With only 128 GB free space on a 500 GB drive - it is unlikely that you're going to be able to create a 100 GB partition for Windows - because your data is already using that space on the drive - without either defragging the drive or doing an erase, install, and restore.

Plus the fact, that with only 28 GB free out of a 400 GB partition, OS X is going to run like molasses in the arctic.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperP13 View Post
I tried doing bootcamp, partitioned 100GB, but was taking over an hour, everyone says a few minutes, so i quit, and now that 100GB is somewhere, but not partioned because disk utility just shows the 1, I want to know how to get it back, when I look at storage in about this mac, it says i have 27 out of 500, which is fine because that should be it, but that 100 is somewhere, please help
This just happened to me. I had to erase and restore from TM backup to get the space back. I hope you have a backup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iomega zip 100 Plus connection to iMac | Comcast.TimeWarner & Apple TV »