New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

This is so ridiculus.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
I'm so angry.

I spend a week getting the tools and parts I need to repair my iBook.
Open it up, I can't even take out the screws without them getting stripped, and they're in there so tight, and the metal is so **** cheap.

I can't even take them out to work on my iBook. I have no idea what to do now.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,713
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
is this a new or used ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Used 600 g3.
got it off ebay couple months ago.

the inverter board when out on it, and i got the new part to install, but i can't get in the **** thing bc the screws are too tight, and one was stripped in the RAM shield, so i can't get it out, and there's another one I stripped on accident.

Honestly, the metal of the screws are so cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,713
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphix
Used 600 g3.
got it off ebay couple months ago.

the inverter board when out on it, and i got the new part to install, but i can't get in the **** thing bc the screws are too tight, and one was stripped in the RAM shield, so i can't get it out, and there's another one I stripped on accident.

Honestly, the metal of the screws are so cheap.
I don't know what to tell you - I don't have an iBook around, so I'm unsure how common the screws are to replace, if they get stripped. Saw this on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/ibook-screws_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1
good luck
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
I don't know what to tell you - I don't have an iBook around, so I'm unsure how common the screws are to replace, if they get stripped. Saw this on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/ibook-screws_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1
good luck
that's nice and all, but that isn't the point.
i can't get the screws OUT to replace the inverter board.

it really has me down. I want to smash it.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

 
Benjamindaines's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: A religiously oppressed state
Posts: 2,789
Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Benjamindaines is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphix
that's nice and all, but that isn't the point.
i can't get the screws OUT to replace the inverter board.

it really has me down. I want to smash it.
Well we're sorry if Apple made the computer sturdy:p

Joking aside, make sure you have the correct size screw driver. Be patient with it and don't force your way in, that's a sure way to break it.

QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
Well we're sorry if Apple made the computer sturdy:p

Joking aside, make sure you have the correct size screw driver. Be patient with it and don't force your way in, that's a sure way to break it.
Well, they could've made it sturdy with quality screws - No joke

And trust me, i've got the right sized screwdriver and the right sized torx.
i would be sturdy with it, but there is no way i can get this screw out, i'm stuck.
and i really want to use my ibook.

it's actually making me kind of sad. I used money for parts, etc. And I can't use them.

And this isn't just me with this problem, i've looked at a lot of forums, sites and a lot of people had the same problem, 'cept they have newer computers, so they more than likely turn it into apple and have the repair it for free, but that's also minimal, because most apple people blame it on you for damaging their lame screws.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,456
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the iBooks were never intended on being end user-servicable. Period. For this reason iBooks are put together in such a manner not only for the asthetics of design, but also to discourage "tinkering".

Still, I have taken apart iBooks in the past and I find that a battery-powered driver works best. It has more torque than you would be able to get with just your hands, and still isn't so powerful as to ruin the screws. I would suggest getting your hands on one of them and giving it a go with that.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Does anyone know what I can do about trying to get the stripped screws out?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,073
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Grab the head with pliers and turn?
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Grab the head with pliers and turn?
lol, i couldn't get a grip on that tny thing with pliers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,930
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
What I have done many times is use a real small Jewelers Screwdriver and pry under the screw and then use another driver to screw it out. It's always worked for me on screws like that.

I will almost BET someone else has been in there at one time and stripped out the screws as I doubt it came that way brand new. It will take a REAL small tipped driver. Work it around and pry up will turning the screw out.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
What I have done many times is use a real small Jewelers Screwdriver and pry under the screw and then use another driver to screw it out. It's always worked for me on screws like that.

I will almost BET someone else has been in there at one time and stripped out the screws as I doubt it came that way brand new. It will take a REAL small tipped driver. Work it around and pry up will turning the screw out.

Hope that helps.
Tell me if this sounds like a dumb idea.
but i thought about using a small rod and some jb weld on the screw, and try turing it with pliers.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

 
Member Since: May 16, 2005
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 416
hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

hondagus87 is offline
powdered graphite. They make it to stick in locks to lubricate them, but it also works with stripped screws. You basically spray the graphite onto the top of the screw, and it fills in the stripped parts and makes it easy to turn, make sure you push the screwdriver all the way down into the graphite, and turn SLOWLY, and it should work.

I did this when I had a stereo go out on me with screws that were inside the hole making it impossible to use anything else, took a while but I got the screws out
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

 
iphix's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 226
iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

iphix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagus87
powdered graphite. They make it to stick in locks to lubricate them, but it also works with stripped screws. You basically spray the graphite onto the top of the screw, and it fills in the stripped parts and makes it easy to turn, make sure you push the screwdriver all the way down into the graphite, and turn SLOWLY, and it should work.

I did this when I had a stereo go out on me with screws that were inside the hole making it impossible to use anything else, took a while but I got the screws out
ok, thanks.
i might try that/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse? | cable tv on apple cinema displays? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?