New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hard drive failed, need help getting a new one.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimmiespencil

jimmiespencil is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.. my hard drive was failing so i decided to get a new one. I don't know much about hard drives so i was just wondering what one i should get.. the one that came out of it was a Seagate barracuda 7200.12 500 gbtes. i was please with the power and everything about it, but not the fact that it failed… so my question is… should i just buy the same one or would i be better off getting a different brand? if so will the other brand be the same to hook back up? any suggestions and links would be helpful. thanks to everyone whom reads this!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Not necessary to cross-post. Thanks.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

yeah i know sorry, i didn't think it posted the first time.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

As far as your question. Hard drives from all manufacturers can & will fail. Sometimes they fail quickly (warranty), sometimes they last for a few years, and sometimes they can last for a decade or longer.

If you had a Seagate HD before…I would not necessarily say don't get a Seagate. Personally…I shop for HD's based on performance & price. I'm not super "brand-loyal" when it comes to HD's.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

thank you.. i saw something about some thermo sensor not being able to adapt on different brands hard drives on mac… Do you know anything about this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Well, it would certainly help if you mentioned which Mac you have? The only time the thermal sensor would make a difference is if you were changing the hard drive in a late model iMac. iMac models from 2010 on to the present use proprietary hard drives because of the thermal sensor.
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

hi. sorry that I'm not good at this lol. i know its a 21.5" but i am not sure of the year… is there a way to find out what year. i already have the drive out ( super easy for someone who has no clue what they are doing) but if i need to look at the drive for you to know anything let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you click on the Apple in the top left corner and on About This Mac, post everything there and we can figure out what imac you own.

I have BTW had very good luck with Western Digital Black drives. Not the Blue and especially not the Green. The Blacks also have a much longer warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

i already have the drive out so its a no go on turning it back on. i guess i can search for the receipt. any other way of finding out what year it is? yeah i was thinking WD but i just didn't know if i could slap it in and everything would be fine… so i take it seagate really isn't that good?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since its' an iMac the specs are usually on a Label on the bottom of the stand. Turn it over and look for a small label. If you can't see good get a Magnifier as to me its' very small text!

I cant comment on the drive till we know which model it is. After a certain time they went to an Integrated Thermal sensor. There is a way around it again depending on model from OWC. See if you can find that label!
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

model AC1311
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Late 2009 says EveryMac.com. Will check with OWC and see and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

thanks a lot bud
QUOTE Thanks
jimmiespencil

oh and btw i don't want something way expensive, a cheaper one is good for me, the computer isn't used for much anymore since getting a macbook but i would still like to get it running and hopefully not have the HD fail on me.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Read this and click on the URL for the late 2009. They list drives that will work. Hope this helps.

iMac Hard Drive Upgradeability Expanded! | Other World Computing Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD stuck in laptop | Power Macintosh G4 »